CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Linux Networking

johndroc@... wrote:

> Ok, I know this digresses from the purpose of the list, but it does
> have some
> relevance. In 10 lines or less, can you outline the procedure for
> networking
> an EMC (Linux) machine to a WinNT machine? This would be handy for
> transferring CAM/G-Code files, etc. Thanks.

Ok, on Linux, you have to configure the TCP networking support and
arrange for
it to be automatically started at boot time. So, you need a domain name
and a
TCP/IP address for the machine. There are some files in /etc that hold
the
names of other nodes, and also set login and ftp priveledges for users
login and transfer data. I had some problems with the FTP Daemon not
starting automatically, but I managed to get it to do so.

To access another machine from Linux, you can log into it with telnet,
or
make an FTP connection with the FTP program.

On Windows, you need to set up TCP support, and make the appropriate
services available. To access the Windows machine from another machine,

you need a third party software package called an FTP D(a)emon, which
is an autonomous task that accepts FTP connections and serves the
requests. Again, you have to configure this to allow connections and
file access from known nodes. I have a freeware FTPD which I find
very good, I'll get the name of it for you.

To access the Linux machine from Windows, you need an FTP client.
The net browsers have these built in, but some 3rd party ones are
easier to use, they can remember your username and password for
many remote systems, and other conveniences. Again, I have a
freeware one that is good.

I'm using thinwire Ethernet, because I know it, and the cable (50 Ohm
RG-58 coax) is cheap. Also, no network hub is needed for thinwire,
as is needed for twisted pair. But, for anything new, twisted pair is
the way to go. Net hubs are now quite cheap.

For Linux, you need to check the hardware compatibility lists before
looking at network cards, as not all cards are supported, and some
have nasty quirks, like taking up as much as 32K of precious device BIOS

addresses for the buffer memory. The newer PCI cards generally
don't have these problems.

Jon Elson 2000-07-12 15:02:35 UTC Re: Linux Networking