CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Gecko 201 drives, can I drive them directly with a Parallel port on my computer

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2006-08-30 12:22:40 UTC
I have several pc's in my shop running various machines . All of them are
gecko servo systems except for one stepper system. Each has it's own PC none
of them have any issues with low voltage on the parall ports
I put together quite a few Gecko stepper and servo systems. Until recently,
the parallel ports have been fine. But in the last 6 months I have seen a
few customers with new pc's that only put out 3.2V. That isn't enough for
the optos used in the Geckos. I have seen them work down to 3.8V but
marginally. Geckos requires a minimum of 4.2V.
What I would do is locate the parallel port pin for the direction bit and
measure the voltage. 017 low is fairly typical and high 3.2 VDC is what the
newer pc are outputting. This will be a problem. You will need either a
parallel port booster like the ones I sell but don't advertise that attach
directly to the pc parallel port or others that are called breakout boards
that take a weak signal and jack them up to 5V. There are pros and cons on
both methods but I like the idea that the signal coming out of the parallel
port when amplified to 5V and pushed though the cable than the approach of
taking a weak signal from a PC and then running it down a cable and then
amplifying it because anything being lost or below the threshold on the
breakout boards buffer gets lost.
Some PC like the Dell have Bios setting for PS2 of which I am not sure what
it's function is but it recently solved a couple problems with new PC. I had
a customer that bought one of my systems and was reading only 3.3V at the
parallel port cable. I mentioned that he might need a booster but to check
his BIOS. He found the setting and changed it. All of his low voltage issues
went away.
But after rereading your orginal post I don't think the parallel port
voltage is the issue because you said the IMS system worked with two
different pc and the aux devices work.
It sounds like more of a pin config problem. Are you sure the axis step and
direction lines are properly configured to yopur controller software? I
would also check the step and direction lines from the geckos back to the
parallel port side of the Cable. A simple continuity check between the
parallel port cable and the terminals on the Geckos should suffice.

Long time no see. Send me some email off line and I give you my telephone
number or you can email me yours.

Dan Mauch
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives