CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: sort of electronics info

Posted by Les Newell
on 2006-09-14 15:09:11 UTC
Hi Archie,

Capacitor sources are dependent on which country you are in. Mouser
<http://www.mouser.com/> and Digikey <http://www.digikey.com/> are
American electronics suppliers. eBay can be a good source but you have
to be careful to check the specifications.

You probably don't need an oscilloscope. If you are setting up Gecko
servo drives it helps to have one but is by no means essential. Do you
need to measure the resistance of your motors? If so you can do it with
a 12v battery, a bulb and an ordinary digital multimeter.

Lock the shaft of the motor. If the shaft turns while testing you will
get false readings. Now connect the motor and a 12V 4W bulb in series to
the battery. The idea is that the bulb will limit the current. No use
your meter to measure the current. Make a note of this and then measure
the voltage across the motor. Divide the voltage by the current and you
have the resistance. Technically this trick is slightly inaccurate but
the error is too small to make any real difference.

Les

archie road wrote:
> I am currently working on a retrofit of a lagun cnc mill. i was
> wondering where i might find large capicaters (sp) and info on test
> equipment. such as a way to mesure very low resistances as in the
> impedence of motors and what type of osillascope people are using.
> It seems that in these groups they dance all around this issue but
> in 2+ years of surfing this and other cnc boards i haven't seen much on
> this issue except maybe a referance to mouser or Digi-Key
> Thanks
> Happy Hunting
> archie =) =) =)

Discussion Thread

archie road 2006-09-14 14:36:40 UTC OT: sort of electronics info Les Newell 2006-09-14 15:09:11 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: sort of electronics info Dennis Schmitz 2006-09-14 18:09:04 UTC Re: OT: sort of electronics info Jon Elson 2006-09-14 19:03:51 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] OT: sort of electronics info turbulatordude 2006-09-16 07:48:57 UTC Re: OT: sort of electronics info Fred Smith 2006-09-16 08:18:12 UTC Re: OT: sort of electronics info