CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Laser distance meters/ laser trackers

on 2006-11-08 05:52:26 UTC
This is for work not home but you can be sure that if I thought I
could afford to make one myself I would. I don't want to build a
range finder, that would be silly, I just want a module to form part
of a tracker.

I'm not scanning but doing positoning in 3D space. You can't use
triabgulation as there is no means by which to aim it and that is what
provides the angle information.

Graham

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, Sebastien Bailard
<penguin@...> wrote:

> I looked into that a while back. It's a difficult problem,
especially to get
> the sub-mm accuracy we want in machining/object scanning.
> http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/laserlia.htm#liarfbl
>
> If you do figure it out, I hope you write it up, I think the
community would
> greatly benefit from a good set of plans for a laser range finder.
>
> I want something like this, myself:
> http://www.polhemus.com/?page=Scanning_Fastscan
> Handheld or machine-mounted, I'm not picky.
>
> Luckily, for sub-mm scanning these all you need is structured light
scanning.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_scanner#Structured_light
>
> Here's a guy who's working on a turntable and structured-light based
scanner.
> He's fairly far along, but the website doesn't show that. When he's
done,
> he'll be writing it up and publishing stl files for the parts of the
scanner.
> http://www.splinescan.co.uk/index.php
>
> Steve Baker's scanner:
> http://www.sjbaker.org/projects/scanner/
>
> My humble efforts, done in an evening and then put on the back burner:
> http://objects.reprap.org/mediawiki/index.php/RepRap_Laser_Scanning_Head
>
> Are you sure you can't get the results you need using triangulation?
Much

http://www.leica-geosystems.com/corporate/en/products/laser_tracker/lgs_3
> > >5317.htm http://www.apisensor.com/
> > >
> > > Basically the head tracks a retro reflector and using the angle and
> > > the distance to the reflector works out position. The returned beam
> > > from the retro reflector is off-set unless the beam strikes the
centre
> > > and this is used for tracking control (servos try to keep zero
offset).

> > > Distance is determined by interferometry (incremental encoding)
or by
> > > time-of-flight phase shift methods that provide absolute distance
> > > measurement (ADM). Neither of this methods involve triangulation.
> > > These methods give increadible positioning accuracy (tens of
microns)
> > > at 10's of meters range.
> > >
> > > Leica do hand held laser distance meters accurate to +/-1.5mm, I
need
> > > something that can hold 1mm resolution accurately. I'm looking for
> > > distance measuring modules that can do that but am not having much
> > > look. I thought I'd cast a line to the group and ask. I'd prefer ADM
> > > but an interferometer would not be ruled out, Renishaw do them but
> > > they seem to have two beams, it must be single beam.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > > Graham

> > Addresses:
> > Post Messages: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
> >
> > Subscribe: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
> > timg@... Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@...
> > davemucha@... [Moderators] URL to this group:
> >
> > OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> > If you wish to post on unlimited OT subjects goto:
> > aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to
reach it if
> > you have trouble. http://www.metalworking.com/news_servers.html

be a
> > sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are
there, for
> > OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.
> >
> > NOTICE: ALL POSTINGS TO THIS GROUP BECOME PUBLIC DOMAIN BY POSTING
THEM.
> > DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........ bill
> > List Mom
> > List Owner
> >

> > Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2006-11-07 02:02:29 UTC Laser distance meters/ laser trackers kefale1 2006-11-07 09:40:14 UTC Re: Laser distance meters/ laser trackers Graham Stabler 2006-11-07 15:09:28 UTC Re: Laser distance meters/ laser trackers Harko Schwartz 2006-11-07 15:21:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laser distance meters/ laser trackers Sebastien Bailard 2006-11-07 17:52:21 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Laser distance meters/ laser trackers Graham Stabler 2006-11-08 05:52:26 UTC Re: Laser distance meters/ laser trackers Graham Stabler 2006-11-08 06:10:32 UTC Re: Laser distance meters/ laser trackers