CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2006-11-15 13:12:23 UTC
I retorfitted my Jet 13X25 using 600 oz in servo motors on the XZ axis. I
retained the existing acme leadscrew on the X axis and direct drove it.
On the Z axis I choose to use a 2 start precision ballscrew outboard of the
carriage. It is direct drive also using my Ametek 600 oz in motor, gecko
G320 drivers.

However, you could use my 762 oz in stepper motors on the X axis direct
drive. On the Z axis is would use a 2 or preferably a 3/1 ratio timing belt
drive connected to the existing acme leadscrew. So yes they should be Nema34
motors
Dan Mauch
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives
kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
www.camtronics-cnc.com
www.seanet.com/~dmauch
----- Original Message -----
From: "eljaimageen" <eljaimageen@...>
To: <CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:35 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic
metal lathe

> Hello,
>
> We are interested in a CNC metal lathe, such as this one:
>
> http://www.wmhtoolgroup.com/shop/index.cfm?navPage=4&iid=137565
>
> However, we would like to retrofit this to be CNC, controlled with
> steppers. Has anyone ever done this with Jet lathes or similar products?
> What size steppers would I be looking at? NEMA 23 or 34?
>

> Thanks.
> Mike McWhinney

> timg@...
> Moderator: pentam@... indigo_red@... davemucha@...
> [Moderators]
>
> OFF Topic POSTS: General Machining
> aol://5863:126/rec.crafts.metalworking or go thru Google.com to reach it
> if you have trouble.

> sister site to the CCED group, as many of the same members are there, for
> OT subjects, that are not allowed on the CCED list.

> DON'T POST IF YOU CAN NOT ACCEPT THIS.....NO EXCEPTIONS........
> bill
> List Mom
> List Owner
>

> Yahoo! Groups Links

Discussion Thread

eljaimageen 2006-11-15 12:14:00 UTC Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe Dan Mauch 2006-11-15 13:12:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe Thom Carr 2006-11-15 15:47:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe turbulatordude 2006-11-16 06:15:11 UTC Re: Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe Wayne Weedon 2006-11-16 07:26:04 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Adding Stepper Motors/controller to a generic metal lathe