CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: PWM Back Emf

on 2007-01-13 18:58:06 UTC
That's where the trimpot comes in. Too much and the motor speeds up
with increasing load. Too little and it slows down. Just right and the
speed doesn't change at all. Kind of like Goldilocks, the 3 bears and
the beds, the chairs, the porridge or whatever.:-)

Mariss

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <ftkalcevic@...> wrote:

> I understand the theory you are describing - detecting a change in
> current implies a change in load and a change in speed, so change
> the PWM voltage to compensate.
>
> However, when I start the motor the current hits about 100mA before
> the motor starts spinning. When it spins the current drops to
> 80mA. Once spinning I can reduce the PWM duty cycle so the current
> is about 30mA and the motor is still spinning slowly. Don't I need
> to be at a known speed/load balance point before applying the
> compensations? I can't just say 50mA represents 10% speed because
> my motor will not have started spinning.
>
> Of course all my logic could be wrong because I am testing with an
> unloaded motor.
>

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mariss Freimanis"
> <mariss92705@> wrote:
> >
> > It's actually very simple. A motor slows down with increasing load.
> > Increasing the motor voltage speeds it up. Sense the motor load and
> > increase the motor voltage just enough to compensate. Result is no
> > motor speed change as motor load goes from zero to max. Uphill
> will be
> > just as fast as downhill.:-)
> >
> > Mariss
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Frank" <ftkalcevic@>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > Thanks for that. Not the simple answer I was hoping for.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure that solution will entirely solve my problem. This
> is
> > > for a radio controlled toy train. I have a handset that can set
> the
> > > speed digitally from 0-63. I want to keep the speed constant at
> the
> > > set value regardless of load eg number of carriages or
> gradient. I
> > > think I still need the back-emf (or something) to determine the
> > > speed, and once there, your circuit will keep it there.
> > >
> > > I have tried a simple encoder feedback (a disk with 4 stripes)
> and
> > > had some success with it, but it was a bit bulky to fit in the
> small
> > > train.
> > >
> > > Thanks
> > > Frank
> > >

> > > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Mariss Freimanis"

> > > motor.
> > > zero.
> increasing
> > > load

> positive
> motor
> > > load

> > > load.

> with
> > > load.
> motor
> > > will

> brushed
> > > dc
> (150mA
> > > max).
> have
> > > two
> they

> [...]

Discussion Thread

Frank 2007-01-13 02:12:41 UTC PWM Back Emf Mariss Freimanis 2007-01-13 07:35:38 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Dennis Schmitz 2007-01-13 14:43:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] PWM Back Emf Dennis Schmitz 2007-01-13 14:49:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PWM Back Emf Frank 2007-01-13 15:04:35 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Mariss Freimanis 2007-01-13 16:08:37 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Frank 2007-01-13 17:54:19 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Mariss Freimanis 2007-01-13 18:58:06 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Frank 2007-01-13 19:48:15 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Jim Register 2007-01-13 22:06:08 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PWM Back Emf Frank 2007-01-13 23:50:32 UTC Re: PWM Back Emf Alan Marconett 2007-01-14 11:24:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: PWM Back Emf