CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 10k

Posted by caudlet
on 2007-01-30 15:22:47 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
<dave_mucha@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
> <lcdpublishing@> wrote:
> >
> > Well, let's keep that in perspective. That figure might show 10,000
> > members, but I would bet that there are less than 500 regular
> > visitors - probably much less than that. While there may be a lot of
> > people that signed up, it doesn't mean they are active in the list.
> >
> > Chris
>

> yup, just like your local library, probably 100,000 members, but only
> a few actually visit and take out books.
>
> But, the interesting part is that we have 10,000 members. that is a
> huge number for any group.
>
> And, if you search the archives, you'll find announcements of almost
> every other cnc related group on here as they branched off. I had
> counted about 22 groups at one time some years ago.
>
> This is the mother of most of the cnc groups we know and love.
>
> Dave

The estimate of a few hundred active members is probably low. I know
for a fact of a dozen people I personally know that are either lurkers
or get the e-mails or occasionally check in. It's hard to determine
the actual number. If the ratio is that high for most of the hard
core posters then the non-posters but still active members, would be
in the thousands.

Some of the 22 groups we mentioned have siphoned off some of the
active members and since the focus of this group is for the person
building a CNC machine, once it's built and done, some move on. We do
have members that un-join but a lot probably just don't bother. There
are others that stay and contribute to the growth of the hobby.

I dunno how many still tune in and really don't care too much. The
core sticks around and answers questions and newbies get started off
on a great hobby.

There is no good way in Yahoo to track the activity of individual
members or how often they log in. The 10K mark is just a number that
shows there is a lot of interest in the build your own cnc world.

To all the new members we (the Moderators and List Owner) say WELCOME.
There is a wealth of information here and you can get answers (maybe
more than you want!) to your CNC questions.

What is hidden behind the curtains is the watchful eye of the
moderators to keep the scumbag spammers from disrupting the flow of
ideas and help. I kill (ban) an average of 2 or 3 a day that want to
tell you about saving money on groceries, jobs in India, or a free
personal message from a Hot Babe (:-)

Discussion Thread

Mike Phillips 2007-01-29 12:16:16 UTC 10k BRIAN FOLEY 2007-01-29 12:49:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 10k lcdpublishing 2007-01-29 14:32:44 UTC Re: 10k turbulatordude 2007-01-30 05:23:43 UTC Re: 10k Mike Phillips 2007-01-30 07:50:30 UTC Re: 10k rembertolm 2007-01-30 13:52:56 UTC Re: 10k caudlet 2007-01-30 15:22:47 UTC Re: 10k Mike Phillips 2007-02-01 07:37:19 UTC Re: 10k