CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: 10k

Posted by Mike Phillips
on 2007-02-01 07:37:19 UTC
It use to be very difficult when I first joined in 2000 to keep up
with the all of the posts. It's a lot easier now. Back then everyone
that had ever touched a mill or lathe knew of this group.

My mill has been up and running for 6 years, but I still find great
info here in this group. Right now I'm dialing in Mach3 and enjoying
the canned cycles. CNCPro has been awesome software, but I have
dreaded the one off projects due to the extensive work just to get
from concept to finished part. Mach3 really helps there. I am trying
to make excuses to machine something, but I just cannot find anything
right now to test everything with.

Oddly, I have very little in the way of manual milling skills. I added
CNC to my mill the minute it was rebuilt. It was my first mill. I had
to put tape labels near the handles to remind me which way to turn
them! So I have this huge gap of experience and training using a mill
manually, and a decent set of experience with milling using it as a
CNC. I'd like to take a 6 month training course some time to fill in
that gap.

Mike

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "turbulatordude"
> <dave_mucha@> wrote:
> >
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "lcdpublishing"
> > <lcdpublishing@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, let's keep that in perspective. That figure might show
10,000
> > > members, but I would bet that there are less than 500 regular
> > > visitors - probably much less than that. While there may be a
lot of
> > > people that signed up, it doesn't mean they are active in the list.
> > >
> > > Chris
> >

> > yup, just like your local library, probably 100,000 members, but only
> > a few actually visit and take out books.
> >
> > But, the interesting part is that we have 10,000 members. that is a
> > huge number for any group.
> >
> > And, if you search the archives, you'll find announcements of almost
> > every other cnc related group on here as they branched off. I had
> > counted about 22 groups at one time some years ago.
> >
> > This is the mother of most of the cnc groups we know and love.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> The estimate of a few hundred active members is probably low. I know
> for a fact of a dozen people I personally know that are either lurkers
> or get the e-mails or occasionally check in. It's hard to determine
> the actual number. If the ratio is that high for most of the hard
> core posters then the non-posters but still active members, would be
> in the thousands.
>
> Some of the 22 groups we mentioned have siphoned off some of the
> active members and since the focus of this group is for the person
> building a CNC machine, once it's built and done, some move on. We do
> have members that un-join but a lot probably just don't bother. There
> are others that stay and contribute to the growth of the hobby.
>
> I dunno how many still tune in and really don't care too much. The
> core sticks around and answers questions and newbies get started off
> on a great hobby.
>
> There is no good way in Yahoo to track the activity of individual
> members or how often they log in. The 10K mark is just a number that
> shows there is a lot of interest in the build your own cnc world.
>
> To all the new members we (the Moderators and List Owner) say WELCOME.
> There is a wealth of information here and you can get answers (maybe
> more than you want!) to your CNC questions.
>
> What is hidden behind the curtains is the watchful eye of the
> moderators to keep the scumbag spammers from disrupting the flow of
> ideas and help. I kill (ban) an average of 2 or 3 a day that want to
> tell you about saving money on groceries, jobs in India, or a free
> personal message from a Hot Babe (:-)

Discussion Thread

Mike Phillips 2007-01-29 12:16:16 UTC 10k BRIAN FOLEY 2007-01-29 12:49:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 10k lcdpublishing 2007-01-29 14:32:44 UTC Re: 10k turbulatordude 2007-01-30 05:23:43 UTC Re: 10k Mike Phillips 2007-01-30 07:50:30 UTC Re: 10k rembertolm 2007-01-30 13:52:56 UTC Re: 10k caudlet 2007-01-30 15:22:47 UTC Re: 10k Mike Phillips 2007-02-01 07:37:19 UTC Re: 10k