CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: LPT question from newbie

Posted by ballendo
on 2007-04-15 14:59:24 UTC
Hello Hunter,

I'm not sure what you're asking here?

Since you appear to be using TurboCNC, let's start there and answer
that YES, it is most likely possible to fix the problem you are
having by changing some setup items in TCNC.

But first let me ask: Do you have other parts of the setup working?

WHAT is it that you are trying to do? Is this for a CNC machine
you've built, and the "VERY small motor" is part of that? Or???

I can think of dozens of "possible" answers to the problem you've
described. But I'm not sure I even knbow what the problem is?

Please give a bit more background info as to what you're trying to
do, and what parts--if any-- already are working correctly...

From that we can probably get to an answer pretty quickly.

Right now, the only thing I "think" I know is that you have tried a
PMDX120 with two different computers, and neither one allows you to
change the state of the pins set up to control relays. Is that right?

And that one computer is different from the other in its initial
state? (But you still cannot effect the pins for relays using
TurboCNC.) Is that right?

There are three basic parallel ports addresses used in older
computers; 378h, 278h, and 3BCh . Modern computers with motherboard
Pports will usually use 378h. Those with a PCI plug-in parallel port
may use something completely different, C800 is one I've seen more
than a few times.

FWIW, You can change pport pins using Qbasic, or any of several
internet available programs that run in DOS. This can be an easy way
to test the basic pport operation if you're unsure of how to set up
TCNC.

I'm sure we can get this sorted out, let me/us know a bit more about
where you're at right now, and what you're trying to do...

Ballendo

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "hunter_print"
<Hunter03@...> wrote:

> I was hoping someone could help me with this. I use a PMDX-120 to
> isolate the computer I'm working with. When I plug it into a
computer
> at work, Relay A is off, the rest are on. When I plug it into a
> computer my school provided, ALL relays are on. This is most
> distressing since I am using Relay A to power a VERY small motor
> (ON/OFF, no speed control) I can't change the state of the relays
that
> are on when plugged in.
>
> This all leads me to believe the pins on LPT1 that control these
relays
> are active. Am I configuring something wrong? Is this a problem
that
> can be fixed in TurboCNC, or is this something to do with the
computer
> itself? The computer where I work is an old Gateway 4DX2-66 with
the
> printer port in $3BC. The school computer has been stripped down
so
> that only DOS runs on it, but it is a newer model (5+ years)
pentium.

> -Hunter

Discussion Thread

hunter_print 2007-04-14 14:25:23 UTC LPT question from newbie David Speck 2007-04-14 14:43:00 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LPT question from newbie Tony Smith 2007-04-14 23:34:21 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LPT question from newbie David G. LeVine 2007-04-15 09:39:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LPT question from newbie ballendo 2007-04-15 14:59:24 UTC Re: LPT question from newbie