CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: No more backlash!

Posted by dave engvall
on 2000-07-25 12:05:39 UTC
Alvaro Fogassa wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...> wrote:
> > I reassembled the mill and ran a few parts. There is no backlash!
> >
> > Obviously I cant say anything yet about how long this will last,
> but if
> > it is half as good as the literture claims it will outlast me by a
> long
> > time.
> >
> > Im going to do my Grizzley mini mill next.
> >
> > ron
>
> Ron, the lead screws that sherline uses are no better than 0.004" per
> foot,that's why they say on the instructions manual to set the
> backlash nut no tighter than .003", other wise the nuts won't last
> too long nor do the lead screws.
> Now,if you can get a lead screw with let's say,0.001" lead accuracy
> per foot than it might work.
> As for the grizzly,well...,if the lead screws on sherline aren't
> that good,you guess it....
> The ones on my grizzly,was so tight that it would turn ok at the
> beggining but when it gets to the midle of the travel I've to use two
> hands to turn it. i'm shure it will turn easyer once the nuts wears
> out.anyway I'm not using the original screws any more.

My Grizzly was not nearly that bad but certainly nothing to write home about. Had a lot more trouble keeping the gibs in the right
place. Finally modified the lock so they would stay in one place.
In the end I bought at auction a Cincinatti (60's vintage) "countormaster" (sans contour stuff) but with servo motors for less
than the original price of the Grizzly. :-) Even well used the Cincinatti was tighter and stiffer than a new Grizzly. Sorry for
the cold shower but this is simply my experience. If on waits long enough and has cash in hand some really usable equipment shows
up.

Best of Luck,

Dave Engvall