CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: No more backlash!

on 2000-07-25 12:36:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, dave engvall <dengvall@n...>
wrote:
> Alvaro Fogassa wrote:
>
> > --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...>
wrote:
> > > I reassembled the mill and ran a few parts. There is no
backlash!

> > > Obviously I cant say anything yet about how long this will last,
> > but if
> > > it is half as good as the literture claims it will outlast me
by a
> > long
> > > time.
> > >
> > > Im going to do my Grizzley mini mill next.
> > >
> > > ron
> >
> > Ron, the lead screws that sherline uses are no better than 0.004"
per
> > foot,that's why they say on the instructions manual to set the
> > backlash nut no tighter than .003", other wise the nuts won't last
> > too long nor do the lead screws.
> > Now,if you can get a lead screw with let's say,0.001" lead
accuracy
> > per foot than it might work.
> > As for the grizzly,well...,if the lead screws on sherline aren't
> > that good,you guess it....
> > The ones on my grizzly,was so tight that it would turn ok at the
> > beggining but when it gets to the midle of the travel I've to use
two
> > hands to turn it. i'm shure it will turn easyer once the nuts
wears
> > out.anyway I'm not using the original screws any more.
>
> My Grizzly was not nearly that bad but certainly nothing to write
home about. Had a lot more trouble keeping the gibs in the right
> place. Finally modified the lock so they would stay in one place.
> In the end I bought at auction a Cincinatti (60's
vintage) "countormaster" (sans contour stuff) but with servo motors
for less
> than the original price of the Grizzly. :-) Even well used the
Cincinatti was tighter and stiffer than a new Grizzly. Sorry for
> the cold shower but this is simply my experience. If on waits long
enough and has cash in hand some really usable equipment shows
> up.
>
> Best of Luck,
>
> Dave Engvall

Well,I can't have a 600 pounds on my living room,I'm shure that if
I look for it I 'll find a bridgeport type milling machine for well
under $1000 bucks,But as many others I live in an apartment and there
is still a need of space for my kids to move around :)