CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: My new cnc router /plasma cutter and 3D printer.

on 2007-06-04 10:32:27 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Mauch" <dmauch@...> wrote:

> Yes I do plan to turn around the cables chains and also add a 4th
>axis for sure and most likely a fifth axis so I can make some stuff
>from the 3D scans I have taken.

Excellent, might see you over at the cnc toolkit site then soon. I'm
looking forward to trying the scanning software it looks good.

> BTW I have been very interested in your 3D printer. I have read some
>of the thread but not all of them. It seems like the biggest problem
>will be with the binder and the deposition of the medium.

I'm not sure. If the counter roller concept works as well as I think
it might it may not be too much of an issue, just a matter of feed and
speed effectively. As far as binder goes once you have the right
fluid its just the same problem as many people face trying to reuse
cartriges, I've read that the binder for plaster is sugar water so it
might turn out to be easy. Famous last words!!

But it's nice everyone turns around and tells me I've done the easy
bit :P

My powder bin system is pretty much built, just need to turn the
adapters to couple leadscrews to steppers, need a 1/4 reamer first (or
at least a drill).

> I was thinking about it this morning when I woke up at 3:30AM. Have
>you thought about using paraffin in a inkjet delivery system.

As in the wax not the laxative :) This has been done, I have a paper
where it is mentioned somewhere, a little process heater in a
cartridge might work, I was wondering myself. If you do this kind of
printing however you need to build support structures. Great for
jewelry at least.

>I would think the hot wax hitting the ice cold junction would
>instantly harden.

You are printing pico litres at a time so it would not have much
thermal mass so I suspect it would harden anyway. Some cold air might
be another option.

>But have no data to support the theory. Several yearago I picked up a
>large petier juction that was about 4"by 6" for only $20 surplus.

I've got one from a processor I could try, when combined with a fan it
get suprisingly cold. It might be worth sacrificing a catridge for in
the name of the cause.

Graham

Discussion Thread

Dan Mauch 2007-06-04 08:12:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: My new cnc router /plasma cutter and 3D printer. Graham Stabler 2007-06-04 10:32:27 UTC Re: My new cnc router /plasma cutter and 3D printer.