CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: cnc microtome

Posted by optics22000
on 2007-06-12 05:31:44 UTC
Graham,
Have you checked ebay for a microtome?
As for the knowledge required to use one, perhaps you could find a
research paper describing microtomed tissue, then contact the author?

regards-
Elliot

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Graham
Stabler" <grezmos@...> wrote:

> I realize this is a bit of a weird one but here goes.
>
> The reason I got into the 3D printing was to produce solid models of
> CT scans of a honey bee I had done, all in the hope I can use the
way
> honey bee's work to inspire a mechanical design for a hovering
vehicle.

> CT has turned out to be good but it looses all colour information
and
> that can be handy to differentiate between parts of the insects
joint
> structure.
>
> The answer is to use mechanical sectioning I think. I have found
> literature where they embed tissue in paraffin wax and then cut it
> slice by slice on a microtome, they take a picture of the cut
surface
> after every slice and use the series of images to construct a 3D
model.

> One problem with using a microtome is that we don't have one. The
> second is synchronizing the camera with the moving specimen or
> creating a suitable stop. What I do have are some really sturdy
> linear stages complete with thk rails and 1mm lead ballscrews.
>
> I'm thinking of a simple 2-axis machine, the vertical axis has the
> blade holder and blade (available as spares). The horizontal axis
> which would lie in the optical axis of the camera holds the
specimen.

> repeat
> Blade comes down
> Blade goes up
> take picture
> sample goes forward
>
> The cut face never moves and this really helps the optical
alignment.

> This group has some weird characters, any of them used microtomes?
> can imagine I'm going to have to get the thing sturdy.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Graham

Discussion Thread

Graham Stabler 2007-06-11 06:31:12 UTC cnc microtome optics22000 2007-06-12 05:31:44 UTC Re: cnc microtome Graham Stabler 2007-06-12 05:37:53 UTC Re: cnc microtome Wkuehsel@a... 2007-06-12 07:49:42 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cnc microtome David G. LeVine 2007-06-12 17:44:39 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: cnc microtome