CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2007-07-09 17:55:56 UTC
This has been the single largest cause of chatter and bad finish, cutter
wear, etc in the work I have done. Anytime more than 90 degrees or so of
the cutter are cutting at any one time (such as in slotting, in which the
cutter is going to be cutting on a full 180 degrees) leads to big problems
in general. The drag on the cutter alone causes heat and loading, not to
mention the hard time that you have trying to get the chips out (leading to
recutting). I usually solve the problem by either roughing out the part
with a bandsaw or other tool, or taking more cuts to form a pocket rather
than a slot.
Also, I would try some carbide end mills. In the usual sizes, they aren't
that much more expensive than the comparable high quality HSS tools, and
they save a lot of headaches.

On 7/9/07, Jon Elson <elson@...> wrote:

> Did you chew this part out of a big block, or
> pre-shape it on the bandsaw, so you were only trimming the
> outside dimensions? If you are plowing the cutter full-width
> through the material, it GREATLY increases heat, recutting of
> chips, and all the bad things.

> .

Mike Mueller 2007-07-08 22:37:55 UTC Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Tom Hubin 2007-07-08 23:32:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Mike Mueller 2007-07-09 00:09:28 UTC Re: Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Jon Elson 2007-07-09 09:42:54 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Mike Mueller 2007-07-09 10:22:10 UTC Re: Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Jon Elson 2007-07-09 17:32:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts Michael Fagan 2007-07-09 17:55:56 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Motors too weak or bad ball screws or software issues?? pictures of odd cuts