CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Just getting started

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2007-07-10 08:39:13 UTC
There are also open source solutions to the many of the aspects. EMC2 is an
open source Linux controller that is widely supported and frequently
improved. If you have electronics experience, there are several kits
available for you to build your own driver boards and other aspects of the
project.

On 7/9/07, caudlet <thom@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com<CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com>,
> "Jack Mc Kie"
> <freshwatermodels@...> wrote:
> >
> > I'm new to the group and more or less new to CNC.
> >
> > I draw with AutoCad Lt 2D cad and do manual machining. I machine
> > mostly brass and plastic for patterns to make molds for spincasting.
> > My only experience with cnc is using prototrac converted Bridgeport
> > with canned programs.
> >
> > I want to convert my mini-mill to cnc with stepper motors. I am
> > thinking of useing Ron Steele's conversion plans. Any comments???
> >
> > I assume I need:
> >
> > -some sort of cam to convert cad to g code What about Lazy cam?
> >
> > -software (Mach 3 ?) to convert the g code to signals to run the -
> > -converted machine.
>
> Welcome to the group. You will find a wide variety of members here
> with everything from newby status to many years in CNC.
>
> The magic triad is: CAD->CAM->Control. For CAD you can use anything
> from the (near) free stuff to the expensive.
>
> For CAM you have lots of choices too. I still consider LazyCAM to be
> in development and in Beta. For something that is a little more
> mature, take a look at SheetCAM (www.SheetCAM.com). Does 2D and 2.5D
> routing, milling and shape cutting with a simple user interface and
> powerful features. It won't crash your budget.
>
> The winner hands down on any Windows based controller is MACH3. Over
> 9000 users and a very active forum for support. Questions get
> answered quickly.
>
> The hardware side can make your head spin but several names always pop
> up for drives and other components.
>
> Ask questions and remember the old saying about "opinions" (:-)
>
> TOM CAUDLE
> www.CandCNC.com
> >
> > -hardware to interface the pc with the mini-mill
> >
> > Any Comments???????
> >
> > I am also looking for good info on g codes and basic progaming so any
> > info or links would be appreciated.
> >
> > I am trying to keep costs to a minimum. Any assistance would be
> > appreciated as I want to develop a plan for this project.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jack Mc kie
> > www.freshwatermodels.net

Jack Mc Kie 2007-07-09 15:35:21 UTC Just getting started caudlet 2007-07-09 18:11:35 UTC Re: Just getting started Michael Fagan 2007-07-10 08:39:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Just getting started