CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Any good controllers for small servo powered cnc mill?

on 2007-07-19 14:22:46 UTC
Hi Todd.

Assuming that the existing amplifiers take a +/- 10V velocity or torque
command, and you have encoder feedback (rather than resolvers or
something else), you can use EMC2 with several kinds of hardware.

One solution is a PCI card from Mesa Electronics
<http://www.mesanet.com> - the 5i20. This is a 72-I/O card with an FPGA
on it. The default configuration allows for 4 servo axes plus 32 inputs
and 16 outputs, and there are other configurations in the works. It's
reprogrammable, so you don't have to worry about upgrades. You'll also
need an analog servo output card, the 7i33. The total cost is $199 for
the 5i20 card plus $69 for the 4-axis analog servo interface. That's
about the same cost as 3 pixies (a little more than 3, a little less
than 4), and it gives you a controller with feedback.

- Steve