CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router - ballscrew on one end

Posted by Leslie Newell
on 2007-08-24 11:09:16 UTC
This is fairly common in industrial machines. You do need to make the
gantry a bit bigger to stop it flexing but otherwise it isn't a problem.
Another trick with a single screw is to put it in the middle under the
table with bars going to each side. The table then has to become a
bridge over the screw, supported only on each end. As it isn't a moving
part there is no penalty in making it beefy enough to be rigid. I did
this on the router I built and had no problems with flex or binding.

Are these rails supported or unsupported? If they are unsupported, even
big rails flex like crazy.

Les

vrsculptor wrote:
> I am considering buildings a router with geometry similar to
> <http://www.rainnea.com/cnc_5axis.htm> where the x and y axis are on
> the top of the machine. I have ballscrews and large (2.5") round
> linear ways/bearings to use on the x/y axis. The y axis will have 48"
> travel. The machine frame will be steel.
>
> My question is can I drive the X axis from one side of the gantry or
> will it bind? I only have 3 ballscrews.
>
> Roger

Discussion Thread

vrsculptor 2007-08-24 08:24:56 UTC Router - ballscrew on one end R Rogers 2007-08-24 09:12:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router - ballscrew on one end art 2007-08-24 09:14:30 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router - ballscrew on one end Leslie Newell 2007-08-24 11:09:16 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Router - ballscrew on one end vrsculptor 2007-08-24 11:46:04 UTC Re: Router - ballscrew on one end