CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: found a problem... Supertech mill

Posted by Lurch
on 2007-08-26 09:48:00 UTC
Nope, I reran it in a 'dry run' mode [no tool in spindle] and the
failure did not repeat.

Bottom line is, this particular controller, for whatever reason[s],
is making outputs to the motors and changres to axis values that re
not accounted for by the contents of the CAM file or by any operator
input, respectively.

I'm tired of tearing my hair out over it. I'm going to talk to
Dennis about just exchaning the controller since everything I've been
able to find out points to this just not being typical behavior for
Dennis' controllers.

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Lurch" <lurch9@...> wrote:

> The file was created entirely within SuperCAM itself.
>
> And the files creatred within AutoCAD, the failure pattern is not
> consistent.
>
> In either case, that doesn't explain why, when stepping x from 3
to -
> 3 during a cut, halfway through the cut it will lift the spindle,
re-
> zero an axis, lower the spindle, and keep going...and run the tool
> into the tabletop, or a hold-down clamp, or whatever.
>
> Whatever program was used to create the source file, there is NO
set
> of circumstances under which I can see it stopping to re-zero an
axis
> halfway through a cut **without** any input from the operator.
>
> Since it has happened on a couple different computers, it has to be
> either the software or the controller itself, is my thinking.
>
> And repeated re-runs with no tool in the spindle, I am unable to
> consistently replicate the failure. But I'll bet a dollar next
time
> there's a tool and a workpiece, it will do it again.
>
> It comes and goes at will, and has existed across multiple
computers
> in multiple physical environments.
>
> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "R Wink" <rwwink@> wrote:
> >
> > If you're using AutoCAD, download and run the "LISP" routing
called
> flatten
> > (HYPERLINK
>
> "http://www.markcad.com/download/Flatten.lsp"www.markcad.com/downloa
> d/Flatte
> > n.lsp or several other places on the web-search Google
> for "flatten.lsp").
> > ACAD sometimes does not draw on a single plane and you might have
> one of the
> > endpoints of the lines of the "box" you drew somewhere other than
> on the
> > plane of the drawing.
> >
> > Running that through a drawing converter that can utilize 3D
> points, it may
> > be picking the point up and outputting a 3 dimensional coordinate.
> >
> > R. Wink
> >
> > _____

SuperCAM
> Xp
> > and it didn't re-zero any axis halfway through a move...which
leads
> > me to think very strongly the issue is either in the version of
> > SuperCAM I have, or in the controller itself. And it's been doing
> > this from day one.
> >
> > Dennis DID offer me the newest version of SuperCAM for DOS for
> > another $95.
> >
> > Lurch
> >
> > --- In HYPERLINK
> > "mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com"CAD_CAM_EDM_-DRO@,
> > "Tony Smith" <ajsmith@>
> > wrote:
> > >
> > > You'd think it would work...
> > >
> > > It's not trying to convert metric to imperial is it? Metric CAD
> > with
> > > Imperial screws on the mill? The small number is from some sort
> of
> > rounding
> > > error?
> > >
> > > A bit wierd that it doesn't understand it's own file. You could
> > change all
> > > of the numbers to scientific notation, eg
> > >
> > > line -3,0.15,3,0.-15
> > > line 3,0.1,-3,0.1
> > > becomes
> > > line -3.0e-000,1.-5e-001,3.-0e-000,1.-5e-001
> > > line 3.0e-001,1.0e--001,-3.0e--001,1.0e--001
> > >
> > > In theory, a program that understands scientific notation
should
> > treat the
> > > two chunks as the same.
> > >
> > > If that works, then it's probably the tiny number causing
grief.
> > That's a
> > > bit hard to fix. You could load it into Excel and use the ROUND
()
> > function,
> > > it specifies how many digits after the decimal, so =ROUND
(1.259e-
> > 006,4)
> > > returns 0 (actually =ROUND(0.00000126,-4)). =ROUND(0.00000126,-
6)
> > gives you
> > > 0.000001
> > >
> > > Still a pain.
> > >
> > > Tony

> > "mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO%40yahoogroups.com"CAD_CAM_EDM_-DRO@,
> > "Tony Smith" <ajsmith@>

> > CSV

> see
> > it's

> will
> > really
> this,
> > or
> > mill

> > different
> > it'll

> asks
> > you
display. '0.00000126'
> > has

> > program
> change.

> > the

> know
> > those

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 08/25/2007
> > 5:00 PM

> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> 08/25/2007
> > 5:00 PM

Lurch 2007-08-25 19:04:20 UTC found a problem... Supertech mill Stephen Wille Padnos 2007-08-25 19:10:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-25 19:18:35 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Michael Fagan 2007-08-25 22:03:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] found a problem... Supertech mill Tony Smith 2007-08-25 23:24:11 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-26 05:46:57 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Tony Smith 2007-08-26 06:29:56 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-26 06:41:23 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill R Wink 2007-08-26 06:53:00 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-26 07:33:41 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-26 09:48:00 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Kevin Martin 2007-08-26 10:49:36 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: found a problem... Supertech mill Lurch 2007-08-26 19:06:07 UTC Re: found a problem... Supertech mill