CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Solid Edge Origin Help Needed

Posted by Ian Wright
on 2000-08-01 01:34:50 UTC
Hi Charles,

Are you trying to work in 3D? If so I can tell you how I would do it in ACAD
or Rhino.
Draw the cylinder. In the same plane on another part of the screen draw a
rectangular box the same cross section as the slot you want but a bit longer
than the diameter of the cylinder. On one face - that which will be the
'outside' of the slot - draw a centre line either along or across the face
by drawing the line from the 'centre point' of one edge to the 'centre
point' of the other. Now move the rectangular box and snap the centre point
of this last line to the centre of the cylinder end and, if the slot is
aligned correctly, 'subtract' the box from the cylinder. If the box is not
aligned exactly parallel to the end of the cylinder for any reason you can
rotate the box around the centre point and snap a 'quadrant' of the cylinder
to a 'nearpoint' of the centre line of the box. Don't worry about the
angular alignment of the slot as you can, of course, rotate the cylinder
along its long axis to make it look right. This may sound long-winded but it
took many times longer to write than the drawing takes in practise.
It is a good idea to consider how you are going to construct things before
you start and work in an order which will make life easy. For example, if
you were drawing this cylinder as an extruded circle rather than as a
cylinder solid, it would only have a 'centre' at the end from which it was
extruded. Consequently, unless you 'extrude' away from the end at which you
want the slot, you would have to 'offset' a diametric construction line by
the height of the cylinder and then snap to the centre of this.

Ian

--
Ian W. Wright
Sheffield UK