CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gravograph

Posted by Jim DuBois
on 2007-10-06 20:33:09 UTC
I bought a New Hermes 3 axis engraver, 14"x19", built in 1985, a couple of
years ago. It had the integrated computer and drivers and the like along
with a bunch of font cartridges. After some degree of work I was able to
get it working. However, while the mechanics were perfect, the electronics
were so far out of date and so cumbersome I disassembled and sold on ebay
all the computer parts, font cartridges, and driver boards. I built a
controller using IMS drivers and used a Kerns Electronics interface card and
program to run the engraver. Worked much better than the old computer and I
could then engrave anything that I could create, scan, or import from a cad
program. Better control, better all the way around...

By the way I still have a good Kearns card and SW control package for
engraving, circa 1995, but it requires a DOS controlled OS...if anybody
should be interested in it.. I have run it in WIN 98 DOS, I have not tried
it with more recent versions..

Jim DuBois

From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steve Blackmore
Sent: Saturday, October 06, 2007 8:29 PM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Gravograph

On Sat, 06 Oct 2007 21:17:14 -0000, you wrote:

>I came across well preserved Gravograph engraving machine with dead
>computer, but the rest of electronics seems to be OK.
>
>The computer seems to be connected to machine via LPT cable.
>
>Does anyone have any experience retrofitting this machines?

No, sorry, but last I heard the MD of Gravograph was working for
Suregrave UK - may be worth an email or phone call there.

http://www.suregrave.com/contact.html

Even if that fails, there's lots of experience here that can get you a
working machine. You may well find that the mechanics are far superior
to the the electronics and it may be worth replacing it, rather than
repairing it. More information please..

Steve Blackmore