CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}

Posted by scyvt
on 2007-10-07 06:49:36 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@...> wrote:

> I would like to toss out to the members (and especially the longtime
> contributors) the question: would it make the list better if we ....
>
> This is a stickey subject and perhaps not wanted by the membership.
> Feel free to give me your thoughts on or off list.
>
> Tom Caudle
> list co-owner

Tom

In my mind there are a couple of major deficiencies of Yahoo groups, this one included,for
which there might be workarounds, other than enduring avatars & animations.

One is the redundant nature of the large majority of newbie posts, which could be reduced
considerably by a truly comprehensive FAQ. Since maintaining such a FAQ calls for more
knowlwdge & time than could be expected of any one volunteer (Tim Goldstein's efforts
notwithstanding), perhaps a Wiki might serve the purpose better. Don't know how it could
be arranged, but if it was not possible to post until you had consulted the Wiki first?

Another is the inability to attach pictures to posts. In many cases the old saw about a
thousand words is true.

Finally, searching Yahoo archives has, in my experience, been less than satisfactory. This
undoubtedly contributes to the aforementioned redundant posts. Someone mentioned
Yahoo Plus; presumably this costs $$, but could explain why the free search is not the
best.

Regarding specifically the proposed new group, "Micro Manufacturing Guild" certainly has
a more up-to-date sound to it than "jobshophomeshop", and might attract a different set
of members, but does it really make sense to dilute what seems to be mostly overlaping
content into two groups? As to including this content within this CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO list,
why even conteplate such a thing when the sister jobshophomeshop list already addresses
this topic? The proposer of the MMG list never explained in what way the
jobshophomeshop list was deficient. Not to denigrate his proposal, which on the face of it
is excellent, but is it possible that he was unaware of the sister list already in place?

As far as fewer posts/day on this list - is that necessarily a bad thing? There was a time
when the activity on this list was so great that I for one found it overwhelming - although
that is my view - perhaps some liked it that way.

In summation, this list is a wonderful resource as it is. If a tweak such as an associated
Wiki could be added, I think that would be more useful in a fundamental way than
expanding the scope of permitted topics, or encouraging what appears - as least to the
partly informed such as myself - to be a duplicative new list.

Just my 2 cents,

Steve Clay-Young

Discussion Thread

John Hansford 2007-10-04 15:56:17 UTC New group idea gawnca 2007-10-05 07:36:40 UTC Re: New group idea smitty 2007-10-05 10:02:57 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] New group idea caudlet 2007-10-05 10:26:11 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-05 13:59:19 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Stevenson 2007-10-05 15:31:51 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-05 15:55:45 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-05 16:35:21 UTC Re: New group idea Peter Homann 2007-10-05 17:18:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} scyvt 2007-10-07 06:49:36 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-07 07:06:30 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 12:24:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Wayne C. Gramlich 2007-10-07 12:38:04 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-07 12:56:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Jon Elson 2007-10-07 15:48:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} turbulatordude 2007-10-08 05:17:40 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI Graham Stabler 2007-10-08 07:46:42 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change - WIKI scyvt 2007-10-10 05:16:14 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} John Hansford 2007-10-10 07:03:46 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner} Yahoo 2007-10-10 08:11:57 UTC Re: New group idea {possible change in rules from list owner}