CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Dual EMC Installation

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2007-12-02 14:45:26 UTC
You need to partition your drive so that they are installed on different
partitions, and you need a bootloader to be able to switch between the two.
For example, on my computer, I have Windows 2000 for CAD, straight Ubuntu
(for programming and non-CNC tasks), and Ubuntu RTK (Real-Time Kernel,
that's the version that runs EMC). When I start the computer, I get a
screen that asks me which one I want to use. I think part of the problem is
that both Debian and Ubuntu use the same Linux file system (I forget what
it's called), whereas Windows uses the NTFS system. On all of my computers,
I have started with a Windows version, then added a Linux version later. I
think when the Ubuntu installer sees the windows partition, it will
automatically create additional partitions for itself (it asks you, but its
automatic as far as it knows how to format them and such).

On Dec 2, 2007 1:55 PM, peppermark1 <pmark1@...> wrote:

> Dear Folks,
>
> Presently have a CNC Sherline Mill that I've been trying to set up.
> Would like to ask group if anybody has installed both Debian & Ubuntu
> EMC to PC?? I can install Debian with CD but not sure how to prepare
> the HD partition so I will be able to install Ubuntu on the same HD
> and have a window to choose which to open??
>
> The Debian EMC installs nicely as does the Ubuntu EMC using CDs.
> However I seem to be missing something as one will eliminate the
> other when installed individually, and vise versa. What is left is the
> EMC version that you last installed.
>
> Probably has something, I suspect, with preparing the HD partitions
> when asked by the EMC installer. Can anybody help? Would like to have
> both EMC's present on the HD to compliment each other and to be able
> to choose which one to open.
>
> Would certainly appreciate if somebody could direct me in what
> procedure to take or just tell me where to go?
>
> Your assistance concerning this matter would be very much appreciated.
>
> Pete - Newby Senior C

peppermark1 2007-12-02 13:55:56 UTC Need Dual EMC Installation Jim Peck 2007-12-02 14:06:47 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Dual EMC Installation Michael Fagan 2007-12-02 14:45:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Dual EMC Installation David G. LeVine 2007-12-02 21:02:52 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Need Dual EMC Installation peppermark1 2007-12-03 15:45:22 UTC Re: Need Dual EMC Installation David G. LeVine 2007-12-03 22:44:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Need Dual EMC Installation