CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: wire rope drive

Posted by topdown210
on 2007-12-22 07:17:12 UTC
Hi Arnie,

I'm late to this discussion but I have built a cable drive system. A
few hints... If you put enough winds of wire around the driving axle
to accommodate the full travel in both directions and clamp the center
of the wire to the axle it is no longer a friction drive. (That is
good...) I used a 1/2" rod for the "drum" and 1/16" wire rope. It is
strong enough to ruin 1/4" router bits if you move the thing and the
bit is still in the work and the spindle is not running. Guess how I
know that!

HTH,

Top

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Arnie Minear" <aminear@...>
wrote:

> Well with all the great discussion on this I have decided to give it an
> attempt. If it works it is a great money saver, it should be low
> friction and very low inertia mass to move around. I will keep
> updating on my progress. I have purchased some very small cable to
> start with, I may find it is too small but I'll give it a shot.
>
> Thanks for all the helpful discussion.
>
> Arnie

Discussion Thread

Arnie Minear 2007-12-17 07:48:35 UTC wire rope drive topdown210 2007-12-22 07:17:12 UTC Re: wire rope drive Arnie Minear 2007-12-31 12:43:28 UTC Re: wire rope drive