CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: MOTOR PROTECTION

Posted by caudlet
on 2008-01-21 17:16:06 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "john_glynn57"
<john_glynn57@...> wrote:

> I am just after receiving a new Bosch 1617EVS router spindle for my cnc
> router and was wondering if anyone has any advice on how I could
> prolong the life of the motor with some clever electric circuit to
> protect the motor during startup\stopping. I'm sure Bosch have thought
> of this and have built in some protection but because I have a large
> electric cabinit I could easily fit additional circuitry.
>
> John

A couple of surge protectors across the AC is about all that makes
sense. Motors don't have a lot of moving parts and handled surges and
overloads pretty well. Only thing that wears is the bearings and the
brushes and on\off switch. With an external relay controlled by the
machine the on/off switch never gets used. The Bosch probably has
soft start anyway.

If you just need something to fill up your electric cabinet then put
in a softstart circuit for the power supply and a way for the DC buss
to be rapidly drained on shutdown (dynamic load dump) and perhaps an
OVP (overvoltage protector) circuit to shut things down and protect
your motor drives in the event of a line surge or motor back
EMF....then there is always the opportunity to add overtemp shutdown
and electronic fusing (:-)

Discussion Thread

john_glynn57 2008-01-21 15:16:01 UTC MOTOR PROTECTION caudlet 2008-01-21 17:16:06 UTC Re: MOTOR PROTECTION john_glynn57 2008-01-23 12:46:22 UTC Re: MOTOR PROTECTION