CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] First example case

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2008-01-29 00:29:41 UTC
Couple of tips:
Hardware store steel is usually junk. Go to a decent metal supplier and get
some 1018 Cold Rolled steel, or, better yet, 12L14 steel, which is a
free-machining steel that machines beautifully.

The short answer is that, for your 0.075" hole, you should use a drill press
and a sharp drill bit (center punch and spot drill for best accuracy).
However, you have a CNC machine, and circularly interpolating large holes is
a piece of cake. You need to use G02 and G03 commands and you nearly always
need to do it half at a time (on a clock face, you'd command a cut from
12:00 to 6:00 and from 6:00 back around to 12:00. For highest precision,
you go in quarter-circles).

On a Taig in steel, you'd be wanting to use a 4 flute end mill because the
greater the number of flutes, the lower the chip load per tooth
(translation: less work for a small machine). You can get 4 flute plunging
end mills, and they're a good investment. Only 2 of the flutes go all the
way to the center. You probably don't want to plunge in steel on a Taig
anyways. Also, a 3/8" diameter cutter is pushing it in steel (you could do
it in aluminum). You might want to start with a 3/16" or 1/4" max cutter.
That would produce a 3/32 or 1/8" corner radius (I assume you meant a 3/16"
radius created by a 3/8" cutter in your original message), but you could
interpolate any radius you wanted.

In general, fixturing and clamping are one of the most challenging of
sucessful machining, but a few pointers:
MDF expendable plates and various clamps are one solution, but much better
IMO is a reusable tooling plate, with a sacrificial sheet metal plate on
top. I have two, both made of 1/2" thick 6061 Aluminum, 3.5" x 12" in
size. The first one I have, a commercial one, has #10-32 tapped holes on a
0.75" x 1" grid, allowing 5 holes across the width and 10 down the length.
I wasn't too fond of the unequal hole spacing, so I made a nearly identical
one with a 1" x 1" grid, with 3 holes across the plate. The plate is
reusable, but I have about a dozen pieces of 1/8" aluminum sheet, sheared to
the same 3.5"x12" size, which I put down in between as a sacrificial
backer. Unlike MDF, it is waterproof (I often run mist coolant) and
reusable. I've made about a dozen different runs since I started using the
aluminum sheets as backers, and I am still reusing the same one. I sand out
any burrs between jobs with a scotchbrite pad to ensure a flat surface.

Unsupported milling or "milling over air" or even with only one end clamped
is generally a bad idea. You can get serious vibrations, and the very
nature of helical endmills is that they tend to want to pull the part up and
out of the fixture. You really want clamping all the way round. You can
get over some of this by drilling extra holes in the part (or utilizing ones
that are already there) and screwing the part down to a tooling plate of
some sort.

Hope that was helpful
Michael

dannym@a... 2008-01-28 23:54:11 UTC First example case Michael Fagan 2008-01-29 00:29:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] First example case a3sigma 2008-01-29 03:31:36 UTC Re: First example case Michael Fagan 2008-01-31 00:31:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: First example case mycroft@c... 2008-01-31 01:34:06 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: First example case