CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] CNC acetylene torch table drive

Posted by Leslie Newell
on 2008-02-09 16:17:44 UTC
Belt works well on plasma cutters. Screws are usually too fine as you
need speed more than resolution.

The holding torque figure for a stepper isn't actually very helpful. As
soon as you start moving the motor, the torque falls off. As a rough
rule of thumb you can only use about 1/4 of the motor's holding torque.
Your 425 oz-in motors will effectively produce only about 100 oz-in.
With a 2" diameter pulley you will have a maximum force of 100oz
(torque/radius). As you have two motors you will have a linear thrust of
about 200 oz or 12 lbs. At a guess you will probably lose getting on for
half of that in friction, giving you about 6 lbs useful force. For
accurate cutting you need good acceleration. I would think 0.5g would be
a minimum to aim for. Therefore your gantry can't weigh more than 12 lbs
total. That is pretty light. The good news is that you will have a very
high top speed, assuming you have enough acceleration to get there.

If you use a 1" diameter pulley the numbers look a lot better. The
thrust per motor now becomes 100/0.5 = 200oz. As you are using two, that
becomes 400 oz total, or 25 lbs. You still lose about 6 lbs in friction,
leaving 18lbs to accelerate your gantry. The gantry can now weigh 36
lbs. Assuming a maximum reliable speed of 1500rpm from the motor you
will have a top speed of 750IPM. That is pretty damn quick.

I wouldn't recommend using the belting flat . You will probably find
that the pulley engagement is not smooth and you will get slightly rough
motion. A far better method is to use two idlers to wrap the belt around
the pulley. Think of the Greek letter omega. I'll try for some ascii
art but it may not come out very well:
| |
__O O___

The idlers can be made out of a cheap skate bearings. Skate bearings are
8mm wide so two side by side will be wider than the belt. 3/8" pitch
seems quite coarse to me. On the next page in the McMaster Carr
catalogue they have some 1/2" wide XL belting. That would also allow you
to use a smaller pulley.

Les