CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature

Henrik Olsson wrote:
> That Rutex document I referenced claims that if the motor is deccelerated
> faster than it was accelerated (running into a hard stop for example)
> the returned current (sensed or not) will go thru the diodes inside the
> transistors and possibly destroy them since there's no way to actually
> turn that current OFF. (?)

I don't think that's the scenario. I think what the problem
really was was that the Rutex uses sign-magnitude modulation,
like I do, but software sensing of the overcurrent, and it was
too slow to respond, and only sensed current sourced by the
drive, not noticing when the braking current was going high.

A common feature of sign-magnitude drives is they recirculate
motor current internally, not through the power supply, so that
the motor is effectively shorted during off-time. You need to
sense braking current and shut off the transistors if braking
current becomes excessive.
> The new and improved UHU is said to use IRFP264N, rated 250V and 44A. The
> drive, I believe, will be rated at 180V, 25A which seems like a pretty
> good safety margin (as far as the transistors go). Yet it can't seem to
> drive anything over 100V, 10A without crippling the motors performance -
> that is what I don't get....

If the logic doesn't handle overcurrent properly, then no amount
of derating will fix it.
> Jon,
> Yes I know about your system and it does seem like a good one. I'd need
> around 120V DC-bus depending a bit on the max dutycyle of the PWM. But I
> want/need Step & Direction.
Have you looked at EMC2? It fully supports my drive & control
system without the use of steps. The only pulses are encoder
counts and the drive PWM to the servo amps.

vrsculptor 2008-02-13 19:49:17 UTC Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-14 09:26:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-14 09:40:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Henrik Olsson 2008-02-14 11:24:48 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Bob Butcher 2008-02-14 14:48:21 UTC Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-14 20:48:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Henrik Olsson 2008-02-14 22:36:21 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-15 09:17:58 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Henrik Olsson 2008-02-17 03:10:09 UTC Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-17 10:44:33 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Henrik Olsson 2008-02-17 11:27:23 UTC Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature Jon Elson 2008-02-17 14:43:09 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re:Servo braking resistor in series with motor armature