CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: cad/drawing package question.

on 2008-02-16 10:30:10 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "caudlet" <thom@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "snokket" <graham@> wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone.
> > Can anyone advise me please on which cad/drawing package would be
the
> > most useful for drawing mosaic type tile floor patterns, I would
like
> > to be able to quickly draw repeating patterns from standard
geometric
> > shapes ( triangles, squares, octagons, hexagons etc and change
the
> > colours to suit the ones from old victorian floors.
> > Cheap would be best for me as I am on a tight budget.
> > I would like to be able to save them in a graphic type format
suitable
> > for web publishing if possible.
> > Any advice will be gratefully received.
> > Sorry if this is a bit OT, hopefully the CAD part wil cover the
> > question.
> > All the best.
> > Gray
> >
> Try CorelDraw which is better suited to doing drawing, importing
> clipart, doing color fills, and exporting in web formats than pure
CAD
> programs. You can pickup ver 12 (two versions back) pretty cheap
now
> and it will have all of the tools you will need. A lot of basic
> shapes are in the drawing tools so you just pick the type (Square,
> rectangle, hexagons, circles, ellipses, stars, spirals, etc and it
> draws them based on the shape rules you set. There are some free
> celtic weave patterns on the web that can be strung together to make
> complex designs in just a few minutes. You can fill any object
with a
> solid color or a sweep (or even a texture) and use it for
illustration
> for a catalog or to a client to show them what the finished product
> looks like.
>
> The same drawing in color with fills (and even done in isometric)
can
> be exported in JPG, GIF, or PNG format. Same base vector format can
> be exported in DXF to take directly to a CAM program to develop a
> toolpath if needed.

Hello Gray,

I agree with Tom. Either CorelDraw or Adobe Illustrator are what you
are after. When you are done, you can bring the design over to CAD.

Ivan Irons
http://www.cncinformation.com

Discussion Thread

snokket 2008-02-15 13:36:31 UTC cad/drawing package question. caudlet 2008-02-15 13:48:25 UTC Re: cad/drawing package question. cncinformation 2008-02-16 10:30:10 UTC Re: cad/drawing package question. caudlet 2008-02-17 10:16:03 UTC Re: cad/drawing package question.