CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2008-04-23 07:22:34 UTC
All various ideas are being considered, but we're thinking probably
along the lines of a 9-12" swing, probably around 24-36" between
centers. For bed ideas, we've got plain iron castings, induction
hardened and ground castings, and a "laminated" bed with a thin layer
of hardened and ground flat stock or other precision bearing surface
which is connected to a base of steel box or other ironwork. This
would go along the lines of a Taig (scaled way up, and no aluminum
extrusions, just steel) and the flat way design (such as how to lock
the tailstock and the shape of the carriage gibs and ways) borrowed
from the Hardinge and Rivett machines.

Got any good ideas?

Michael