CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project

Posted by Michael Fagan
on 2008-04-23 17:23:29 UTC
That book sounds like a good idea.

Our main goal with the project is for the collective experience and
time of the group members to do all the experimentation work, then to
build a single flexible platform that anybody could use for their
projects. Whether it's a group buy of gears or bearings, some design
work on a cartridge spindle, or a particular group member with access
to a blanchard grinder, by working as a group we can save time, money,
and share expertise to allow everyone to build a good machine.

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 10:46 AM, Wayne C. Gramlich <Wayne@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Michael Fagan"
>
> <woodworker88@...> wrote:
> >
> > I am helping to start a new project known as the OpenLathe Project, an
> > ongoing project to build a fully-featured metalworking lathe buildable
> > using the resources available to a network of home shop machinists.
> > We will be basing the project on the structure and principles of the
> > open source community, to help provide a free exchange of ideas and
> > sources. Ultimately, we would like to create the opportunity for a
> > hobbyist with modest equipment and skill to build a metalworking lathe
> > from scratch.
> >
> > Among other aspects of the project, we would like to make the machine
> > control neutral, with both manual and CNC control equally feasible.
> > We would also like to incorporate the E-Leadscrew project as a
> > potential option.
>
> You might want to track down the book "Building a Small Lathe"
> by L. C. Mason. It discusses the construction of a table top
> lathe out of reasonably available materials. There's lots of
> good ideas in the book that are worth investigating.
>
> Of course, there is the good old Gingery Lathe as well. I'm
> sure you have already looked at that.
>
> -Wayne

Discussion Thread

Michael Fagan 2008-04-23 00:47:23 UTC Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Jack McKie 2008-04-23 03:55:36 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Michael Fagan 2008-04-23 07:22:34 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Jack McKie 2008-04-23 08:08:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Wayne C. Gramlich 2008-04-23 10:46:08 UTC Re: Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Michael Fagan 2008-04-23 17:23:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project Jose 2008-04-24 05:02:55 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Invitation to group members: the OpenLathe Project