CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: VEX CNC

Posted by Chuck Merja
on 2008-09-12 06:47:14 UTC
We have VEX motors too, not just servos, so we can do multiple revs. We
also have optical encoders - not quadrature, and 4 degree resolution.

Curious about the steppers. We have several salvage(d)able printers with
small steppers, but thought we needed different stuff to run them. Would be
curious about running small steppers with VEX controller. Also have DC
motors with encoders out of some printers too.

Will look up the algorithm - thanks!!

From: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ron Ginger
Sent: Friday, September 12, 2008 6:38 AM
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: VEX CNC

-
> I just added the part in parentheses, cuz that looks to be where we are
> headed:o))
>

>VEX would be an excellent choice for making something like a pen
plotter. The controller with it is more than capable of the job, much
more so than a PicAXE chip.

I think the issue is that a servo, the kind in VEX kits, are not very
accurate for position control. They have a short arm that only operates
over less than 180 degrees. They are also essentially analog devices, as
they are controlled by a pulse width.

A couple small steppers, even those salvaged out of old floppy drives
should work fine, and should be easy to interface to the VEX controller.

It will be a programming project. The mechanics are nearly trivial,
programming it will be the trick. To draw circle you need to look up
Bresenhams algorithm. It converts the circle into a series of short X
and Y steps.

ron ginger

ebiz_59 2008-09-09 22:08:31 UTC VEX CNC Wreno Wynne 2008-09-10 21:03:49 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VEX CNC Chuck Merja 2008-09-11 07:46:05 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VEX CNC Ron Ginger 2008-09-12 05:38:45 UTC Re: VEX CNC Chuck Merja 2008-09-12 06:47:14 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: VEX CNC Wreno Wynne 2008-09-13 08:49:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VEX CNC cafeagle 2008-09-14 23:29:02 UTC Re: VEX CNC