CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VEX CNC

Posted by Wreno Wynne
on 2008-09-13 08:49:01 UTC
Hi Chuck,

" Am I getting from you that the controller and C might not fit CNC use?"

Not at all. I am glad you asked, so I can clarify. If you are happy
with programming in C, that is /*by far */the way to go (based on my
admittedly slim understanding). Myself, C is a foreign language, as I
grew up in BASICland, rather than across the C. ;-)

I think programming in curves, circles, etc. are going to be
"interesting" whatever language you use. However, with all the gantry
style XY robots out there, there surely must be lots of algorithms
available to do so. You are, frankly, more likely to find them in C
than BASIC, I would imagine, though the math part is math.

I know of no specific tools in BASIC for this, and plead ignorance in
toto on C tools.

However, I would caution you against expecting machining type accuracy,
as I do not believe the servos are capable. If you can get 1024
distinct steps, with a fair amount of slop from the deadzone, I would be
surprised as all getout. But, for some simple drawing with a pen,
probably enough accuracy to do some fun stuff.

As for the rest, I was just trying to point out some additional tools in
case you liked BASIC better than C and also to let you know that the Vex
servos and motors are compatible with regular hobby RC equipment (but
for the plugs). This means you can use Vex servos with RC stuff, and
RC servos with Vex (with an adapter for the plug - and the parallax
cable mentioned gives you one of each adapters).

Cheers,

Wreno