CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD superceeds Motor Starter?

scyvt wrote:
> Electromechanical motor starters, as have been in general use for at
> least 70 years, offer motor protection from overvoltage, undervoltage,
> and overcurrent. From an operator safety standpoint, perhaps the most
> important feature is no-voltage protection; that is, if there is an
> interruption of power, the machine will not automatically start up
> when power is restored.
>
> Modern electronic VFD's offer all the above functions, plus of course
> variable speed and a raft more. But are they considered as reliable as
> the time-tested electromechanical motor starters as far as guarding
> operator safety? In other words, can I use a VFD alone where a motor
> starter was used before?

If properly configured, and the control circuits are wired with this
concern in mind, then yes, and it is done in industry all over the place.
In general, a single power component failure might make the motor wires
"live", but would never be able to start the motor turning.
I don't know how they deal with the possibility of a failure in the
control inputs to the microprocessor, but I suspect that the various
safety rating agencies require a design such that at least two
components need to fail for the motor to start without a proper command
from outside.

scyvt 2009-01-25 15:17:01 UTC VFD superceeds Motor Starter? Jon Elson 2009-01-25 17:41:14 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD superceeds Motor Starter? cnc002@a... 2009-01-25 18:14:38 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD superceeds Motor Starter? 556RECON 2009-01-26 08:15:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] VFD superceeds Motor Starter? scyvt 2009-01-26 08:38:28 UTC Re: VFD superceeds Motor Starter? Jon Elson 2009-01-26 09:49:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: VFD superceeds Motor Starter? dcassyc1 2009-01-26 11:42:21 UTC Re: VFD superceeds Motor Starter?