CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system

Posted by Danny Miller
on 2009-02-15 10:09:26 UTC
The G540 can only handle 50v. So a 48v power supply is maxing it out.

Most of what wildhorse is saying is gobbledygook to be honest. Lemme
clarify that.

In designing switching power supplies, the feedback to adjust the
current's switching without overshooting or undershooting IS a
difficult problem. This is why you won't be able to design a switching
supply yourself. However, in any professionally designed supply, it HAS
been done. The supply voltage will be very very consistent across any
current switching that device can do. And of COURSE they have an output
capacitor! Its internal capacitor does not have to be large because
it's refreshed at at least 100,000 times a sec rather than the 120 times
a sec of a 60Hz supply, and has tuned inductances around it. Adding an
external capacitor is neither necessary nor usually even desirable.

These supplies are designed to run digital equipment which switches
current on and off quite rapidly. Also they're not designed for one
specific type of load. So they're designed to be able to take just
about anything and still provide a tightly controlled voltage.

I'll scope mine out later tonight just to say I did. If my G540 causes
the power supply to have more than like a volt or two of variation when
running, fine, I'll eat my words (I don't expect to see more than a
quarter volt honestly). If there's no spikes in the regulation, well,
this IS the exact configuration I recommended, a very common type that
is applicable to most people's situations, which you're saying could
have problems. If it doesn't have problems, then, well, there are no
problems with this configuration.

On the other hand:
The big 60Hz supplies suffer from 2 major problems. One, the
transformer does not compensate for varying line voltage, which may vary
from 125V or 110V. So any attempt to get 48V out gets 42v-48v, not even
including power drops and spikes when the house's AC kicks in or whatnot.

Second is that cap DO have ripple. They must. The way to combat it is
higher capacitance, but cap sizes become unreasonable both in terms of
capacitance and ESR requirements, and then this configuration starts
causing significant bad harmonics on the power line. The way ripple
works, you will get a significant voltage difference when the supply's
loaded and unloaded.

Due the significant variations in possible voltage, you'd either have to
use a voltage way under what your controller could take to ensure that
its peak voltage won't damage it, OR use a linear regulator. No
off-the-shelf linear reg will handle the voltage and current required,
and the heat generated burning up the voltage difference is tremendous.
Even still, there's a big concern that the ripple under load, when line
voltage is low, will bring down the voltage enough to make the output
voltage fall.

These home-designed supplies are not virtuous like people think.
They're huge, expensive, big on heat, bad on the power line's harmonics
and power factor, and typically have significant design flaws. Most
significant is not getting enough ripple rating in the capacitor to
perform the job reliably. Many amps of ripple rating is again very
expensive and large. Even the big computer caps need to be checked as
far as what they're rated at vs what they're actually going through.

Danny

The 60Hz transformers (

wildhorsesoftware wrote:
> Douglas,
>
> I'm going to differ with Danny on the matter of power supplies.
>
> First, you should use the highest voltage that your controller will
> accept. Second, unregulated, linear (like the one described at the
> hobbycnc.com site) are better for CNC operations.
>
> Here is the reasoning behind my statements.
>
> Virtually all controllers on the market today are "choppers". They
> work like this:
>
> The output of the controller is set, in amps, to the value desired
> for the stepper motor being driven. (Controllers that drive multiple
> motors have an adjustment for each motor.) Notice that the setting
> is in amps, not volts. You can have a stepper motor that is rated at
> 8 vdc controlled by a controller that is fed with a 50vdc power
> supply.
>
> The controller has a feedback circuit that can "sense" the amount of
> current (amps) that is being fed to the motor. Now the next part
> gets a little complex. When a motor needs to step, the controller
> turns on the current to that motor (feeding current into the motor so
> that it moves the correct direction). But the current does not rise
> immediately to the desired value. The slight delay (or ramping up)
> of the current is a function of a complex relationship between the
> power supply voltage, the capacitance of the circuit and the
> impedance of the motor winding. You don't need to understand what
> all of that means, just understand that the varying values of the
> various components go into controlling how fast the current rises.
> This is where the "chopping" action of the controller comes into
> play. The feedback circuitry of the controller senses the amount of
> current flowing through the motor at any given moment. When the
> current reaches the desired value, the current to the motor is cut
> off.
>
> The controller goes through this current on, current sense, current
> off sequence 1000's of times a second (usually 20,000 times or more).
>
> Just as the current does not rise instantly, it does not fall
> instantly when cut off. Again various factors (capacitance,
> impedance, etc.) determine how fast the current falls (decays). The
> delays in the rising and falling of the current cause a "smoothing"
> effect on the current. Thus instead of "seeing" chopped current, the
> motor "sees" a more or less constant current.
>
> Power supply voltage and type (linear or switching) is a significant
> factor in determining how much power a motor produces. The higher
> the voltage, the more "pressure" there is to ramp up the current
> quickly. (Voltage can be compared to the pressure in a water hose.
> The higher the pressure, the more water comes out.) From our
> understanding of how a chopping controller works, we can see that
> voltage regulation (holding the voltage to a close tolerance) is not
> particularly important. If a power supply rated at 60vdc actually
> [...]

Discussion Thread

Douglas Vogt 2009-02-14 14:48:55 UTC Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-14 18:47:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system wildhorsesoftware 2009-02-15 05:15:03 UTC Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system wildhorsesoftware 2009-02-15 09:59:42 UTC Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-15 10:09:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Douglas Vogt 2009-02-15 16:34:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-15 19:02:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Lester Caine 2009-02-16 00:34:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system