CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system

Posted by Lester Caine
on 2009-02-16 00:34:35 UTC
Douglas Vogt wrote:
> Thanks for the information and that from Wildhorsesoftware even though you guys differ on the electronics. The mill, chuck and collets as you describe is the way I'm headed.
>
> So what would a generic system include: PC, Taig CNC ready mill, motors, drive (=controller cards for each motor?), software to convert a DFX drawing to G code, software (maybe in the same package) to convert G code to motor commands, power supply for the motors, and power supply for the Drive? Anything left out? I've built Heathkit stuff decades ago so can probably handle the electronics as long as I know more or less what components are required.
>
> What about servos instead of steppers or do servos require a completely different setup?

Bit more expencive, but if you are in the US
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/cnckit-kit-4awith2ormoreaxes.aspx
Uses step and direction the same as a stepper motor driver, so one could
'upgrade' a channel at a time later.

> Are limit switches mandatory?

Certainly not - and 'Home' is rarely a fixed location, although a 'park'
position can be useful.

> In your particular case, what software package(s) do you use to get a drawing from the PC to the mill?

This does become a bit of a grey area.
My http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=BeginnersGuidetoCAM page needs
a little more work, but the
http://medw.co.uk/wiki/index.php?page=CAMConversionSoftware gives a lot
of options.

Mach3's Lazycam HAS come a long way and does a very good job now, but
does have a learning curve. HOWEVER the bulk of the learning is simply a
matter of understanding how to break the machining jobs down into
logical steps. Drill holes in the bottom of a pocket AFTER profiling the
pocket - and the like ;)

I have to admit to not actually using Lazycam, even though I have it. I
started with VCarve at a time when Lazycam still needed work, and we do
seem to get stuck in our ways ;) But I will find some time to check out
the same processes in Lazycam. I've also run some work with Meshcam to
produce some patterns for molding, and that works reasonably well if one
needs to progress beyond 2.5D machining.

If anybody has some improved crib notes I can incorporate into the
Beginners Guide ....

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL

Douglas Vogt 2009-02-14 14:48:55 UTC Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-14 18:47:44 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system wildhorsesoftware 2009-02-15 05:15:03 UTC Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system wildhorsesoftware 2009-02-15 09:59:42 UTC Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-15 10:09:26 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Douglas Vogt 2009-02-15 16:34:53 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Danny Miller 2009-02-15 19:02:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system Lester Caine 2009-02-16 00:34:35 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Sorting out the options for a CNC mill system