CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2009-11-17 10:29:31 UTC
I have retrofitted about 10 of the techno Esel 48X52 routers . Seven of them were stepper systems and 3 were servos.
The G320 will work great with the stock servo motors. I don't remember which encoder they used. So the important thing is that you check to see what the current draw of the encoder is. The G320 (x) can only support read heads up to 50 ma. If greater than that then you will need and external 5V supply for the encoders.
The second problem area is the home limit switches and issues with electrical noise causing false triggering of Mach3 . A breakout board with a buffer may need to also have a low pass filter on the inputs from the switches.
The third big problem is the brake on the Z axis. I'm not sure if your model has one. If it does the simplest solution to keep the Z axis ballscrew from dropping is to put a counter balance gas strut on it and wiring a switch so that whenever the outputs of the G320(x) is on that there will be 24V to release the brake.
Dan Mauch
economical 3D scanner software and kits
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives
kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
www.camtronics-cnc.com
www.seanet.com/~dmauch
----- Original Message -----
From: thayn.eric
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, November 16, 2009 6:54 PM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives

Hello all,

I am new to the world of CNC. As an occupation, I am a
Process Automation Systems Support Administrator. I work with
Distributive Control Systems (DCS) such as RS3 and DeltaV, programming
and configuring the control schemes. I also do a lot of work with
PLC's; basically, anything that has to do with process automation
and controls. As a hobby, I have a small wood shop that I have put
together over the years. I have been looking into CNC for a little
while now, thinking that this would be a great way of combining two of
my passions together.Automation and Woodworking.

I recently stumbled across a Techno Isel Davinci Servo CNC
Router System from a high school auction at an unbelievable price. This
thing is practically new, very little usage according to the shop
teacher. They used it a couple of times, moved it and it never worked
again.

I brought it home, set it up according to the manuals and
immediately ran into problems. After contacting Techno Isel support and
several hours of trouble shooting, I discovered that the Interface Servo
Controller Card was fried. Apparently, when they moved the machine, they
moved some dip switch's, which toasted the card.

Techno Isel wants too much money for a replacement upgrade
kit, well outside of my budget. So. I've been doing a little
research and I think I can do this a lot cheaper then buying their kit
and have just as good of a unit.

My plan is to buy and use Mach 3, a breakout board, and
GekoDrive's G320 Servo Drives to replace their controller and
amplifier. I plan on removing the power supply that was part of their
system, and using it as the power supply for my system.

My question are:

1) Does anyone see any problems with doing
this? I have the diagram for the encoder(s) wiring and the specs on the
servos. The G320 drives are perfect for my equipment, so I don't
think there should be any problems, but I am not sure.

2) Is there anything I am missing in between
the power supplies and the G320's or them and the Servo's, such
as power resisters or other like items? Everything is fused and is
installed and protected according to documentation.

Sorry for the novel, but thought a little background would be helpful.
Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Eric

thayn.eric 2009-11-17 01:57:39 UTC Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives gcode fi (hanermo) 2009-11-17 02:33:50 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives Dan Mauch 2009-11-17 10:29:31 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives Jon Elson 2009-11-17 10:42:37 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives Jon Elson 2009-11-17 10:43:29 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Techno Isel Modifications/ Geko Drives