CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How do set home position, running turbo cad/cam

Posted by Dan Mauch
on 2010-01-03 13:01:22 UTC
Sheesh I should have proof read that before I sent it.
Here it is cleaned up.
Another method that is really easy and useful is to use a tooling plate. I use one for 90% of the work that I do on my knee mill. The tooling plate I made has a pocket inside the plate. Using a edge finder I located the inner X edge using a .2"diameter edge finder. Then I turned on my controls and set mach3 to .100 which is half the diameter of the tool. Next I send G code command tomove the X axis to G0X0. Next, I loosen the mechanical dial and set it to Zero. I repeated the above for the Y axis.
I can then place most pieces of stock against the X0Y0 inside edges of the tooling plate and double check the manual dials when I first start a job. Usually they are right on unless I bump the hand. When I finish a job I simply order te machine back to X0Y0 and rechech that infact it moved back to the zero positions.

Dan Mauch
economical 3D scanner software and kits
low cost stepper and servo motors.
cases for Gecko drives
kits and assembled 3-4 axis drives
www.camtronics-cnc.com
www.seanet.com/~dmauch
----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Mauch
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 03, 2010 12:24 PM
Subject: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: How do set home position, running turbo cad/cam

Another method that is really easy and useful is to use a tooling plate. I use one for 90% of the work that I do on my knee mill. The tooling plate I made has a pocket inside the plate. Using a edge finder I located the X edge using a .2"diameter edgefinder. Then I turned on my controls and set mach3 to .100 which is half the diameter of the tool. Next I get at Gcode command to G0X0. Now I loosen the mechanical dial and set it to Zero. I repeated the above for the Y axis.
I can then plate mosy pieces of stock agffains the X)Y) inside edges of the tooling plate and double check the manual dials when I first start a job. Usually they are right on unless I bump the handwheels.
Dan Mauch