CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bipolar Stepper series vs paralell wiring

Posted by Jack McKie
on 2010-04-26 16:57:12 UTC
Phil,

Thanks for your reply.

I am going to use a mechatronics board with a 24 volt power supply so I guess you are saying that paralell wiring will provide better torque?

I'm interested in practical info since I'm not knowledgeable in electronics.

Jack

--- On Mon, 4/26/10, Phil@Yahoo <yahoo@...> wrote:

From: Phil@Yahoo <yahoo@...>
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Bipolar Stepper series vs paralell wiring
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, April 26, 2010, 7:01 PM

There is a substantial difference between parallel and series wiring. The
specifications show a lower max. current limit in series configuration, but
notice that the voltage required to reach that current is higher. The
objective is to get the most torque and performance from the motor given
your driver hardware. Most hobby systems operate at fairly low voltages, so
unless you have a driver and power supply that can operate at a relatively
high voltage (say, > 50v) you are probably better off running the motor in
bipolar parallel. The theory behind it all is fairly complex, and this could
launch a thread that runs for weeks if you get folks who are willing to tell
you everything you were afraid to ask. It really depends on what driver
hardware you plan to use, and what performance you require.

--Phil M.