CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe

Posted by stcnc2000
on 2010-12-04 07:58:52 UTC
Hi, here's another idea using the 4th axis as a lathe at:
http://www.cad2gcode.com/cncprojects
Cheers
Bob A

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "Norman Bain" <norman.bain@...> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I too thought the videos excellent. A couple of constructive suggestions come to mind.
>
> 1) Run the file over the end at the end of the first cut; just to break that edge also while it was in "spinnable" position.
>
> 2) When the work was in second stage; turned over NOT in chuck) trim a bit from the 1.5" body portion; just to remove the wobble and true it all up.
>
> 3) For the drilling of the toolholder hole; using the drills to get the hole opened up a bit is ok; but there is no way the drill chuck held on mill bed will ever be acceptably true to the spindle and bed for my liking. The super long reamer will amplify this runout. Better to do the final cuts to make the hole with a boring bar; do lotsa super super small boring bar passes and back out the boring bar and try to fit the desired end mill till done.
>
> Regards,
> Norman

devers6 2010-12-02 19:47:21 UTC Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe phil.sydor 2010-12-03 07:22:54 UTC Re: Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe Norman Bain 2010-12-03 14:18:15 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe ED MAISEY 2010-12-03 15:23:22 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe stcnc2000 2010-12-04 07:58:52 UTC Re: Using a Grizzly Super X3 as a lathe