CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] very first setup help

Brian wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have finished building my cnc router, and have tested the axes using EMC, so all is good so far. I want to my first cut now, and I am confused to say the least. I do not have home or limit switches yet. In EMC, I load a gcode, and set my home position. I now want to set up the block I will be cutting. How do I use the touch-off feature, and how do I link this to the home position? Also, say I have moved the axes from their home positions, is there a way to get EMC to return to them just with a click on something? Finally, all three steppers are set exactly the same, but the z axis sounds very sweet and makes a normal whining noise, while the other two sound rough - they seem to work ok, but do not sound like the z axis. I cannot find any basic tutorials on emc for dumb beginners like me, so any help will be greatly appreciated.

By default, EMC2 requires the axes to be homed before you can do much.
That can be overridden, but it is not too hard to just do the home
sequence. If it is not too hard on the machine, you can just run all
axes to the mechanical stop and call that home. With ini file parameter
HOME_SEARCH_VEL set to 0.0 in each axis section, wherever the axis is
positioned will be declared home when you click the home button. Select
each axis in turn with the axis selector "dots" near the upper left of
the Axis GUI screen, and click the home button. A crosshair fiducial
mark will appear next to each coordinate display to indicate that axis
has been homed. You can set the ini file parameters MIN_LIMIT and
MAX_LIMIT to set the permissible travel limits from the home position.

Touch-off with then work correctly, and you can move to alignment with a
workpiece edge or corner and set the coordinate system for each axis.

As for the difference in sound, if all tuning parameters in the [AXIS_n]
sections are the same (velocity, acceleration and scale, mostly on a
stepper system) then the only difference is the mechanical load on the
motors and possibly different damping settings on the motor drives.
Is this a leadscrew-driven machine, belt drive or rack and pinion? If
you have rack and pinion on X and Y and leadscrew on Z, then I think the
difference is obvious. You have some free play in the drive gearing on
X and Y, and it is rattling.

Brian 2010-12-04 01:54:52 UTC very first setup help Jon Elson 2010-12-04 12:24:23 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] very first setup help