CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: New Sherline automatic tool changer preview

Posted by imserv1
on 2010-12-30 08:30:27 UTC
--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "timgoldstein" <timg@...> wrote:

> --- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com, "imserv1" <imserv@> wrote:
> >
> > Here is some info about our new Sherline based tool changers:
> >
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMGsl9atr3Q
> >
> > Introductory pricing is under $1000 for a 5 tool set up.
> >
> > Guaranteed to work with DeskCNC, and likely will be compatable with Mach3 and EMC.
> >
> > Fred Smith - IMService
> > Year end specials are listed at http://www.cadcamcadcam.com
>
> Fred,
> That is very exciting. Looks like a huge improvement over your previous "rapid changer" design.
>
> I watched the video, but when I go to your site the only changer and details I can find is the older "rapid changer" design that used the air chuck style mechanism. Do you have a link to any details on how it actually works and what all is required to integrate it into a machine?

This link is all that has been releasesd so far.

http://www.cadcamcadcam.com/toolchanger.aspx

The drawbar is air actuated, so 100-115 psi air supply is required. Very low volume air flow, I have a 15 year old, 1hp, portable Campbell-Hausfield compressor that runs a couple minutes every 40-50 tool changes. Since our customers are primarily small shops and home users, we wanted to make sure that the air supply would not be a problem outside of our commercial shop.

The mechanical headstock is the same size as a Sherline, with the same style mounting( setscrew draw pin with keyed vertical alignment).
A standard Sherline spindle with motor and controller can be converted to a tool changer by removing the two screws on the mounting bracket and loosening the setscrew on the belt pulley. The pulley, motor and controller are then mounted on our tool changer headstock and it mounts in the same place as the original stock headstock.

The tool holders use standard ER-11 collets. They range in size from too small to see up to 5/16. The standard package will include a combination of 1/8 and 1/4 sizes. We will also have a 10 pc boxed collet set in stock in a couple weeks. The full set is nice for holding drills.

We use our magnetic Relay box, modified with an air valve to control spindle rotation, coolant, and drawbar release. All the airline fittings are quick connect, so plumbing is not an issue ( tools required = scissors). We also supply a 1/4 or 3/8 NPT interface fitting that connects to the customer air supply.

The one thing, not shown in the video, that is very useful to have is homing switches so that the #1 tool pocket in the rack can be found once, and forgotten. We have a bolt on switch set available for Sherline mills.

The video demonstration is set up to be very simple to accomplish.

The entire program is:

T1M6
T2M6
T3M6
T4M6
T5M6
M2

All the motion and actuation is controlled by the tool change macros.
Calling the second tool puts away the first tool and picks up the new one. Finishing the program also puts away the last used tool. All the motion is programmed in G53 so work offsets don't get involved in tool changes.

> Also, what is the impact on the size pieces a stock Sherline can handle with this mechanism in place. With the holders places in the Y axis it would seem you would loose some of the already limited Y usability. Would be a good reason to upgrade to our 11+" travel Y base upgrade for Sherline mills <g>.

The Sherline envelope varies from 3 x 9 on the 5000CNC to 7 x 9 on the 2000CNC. The rack can be mounted parallel to either the X or Y axis. We have a smaller rack with 3 tools that can be mounted parallel to the Y axis. You could even mount one on each end of the table for a total of 6 tools on a 3 x 9 table

An extended base is useful for any of the Sherline mills as it assures that there is plenty of room for both tool changes and also for any size workpiece that is reasonable to run on a Sherline.

We previously used the HTS rapid changers in a mechanically actuated setup. These worked great with our CNC routers fitted with a Sherline head, and also with a Sherline that had the A2Z precision leadscrew upgrades ( acme screws). We did not recommend that the HTS based tool changers be used with a standard Sherline or a Taig with a Sherline head because the pressure from the tool change process was too much for the small pitch screws, resulting in excessive wear. Even with our servo motors, the HTS tooling was not usable. The new system does not rely on that mechanical actuation, so it works very nicely on a standard Sherline or on a Taig fitted with a Sherline head.

For a reference point, the video shows tool changes on one of our 12 x 12 routers, equipped with the high speed lead screws. That machine can move at 175 ipm in X and Y and 90 ipm in Z. The tool drop off and pick up motion is programmed at 75 ipm. On a standard Taig or Sherline equipped with our servos, all motion would be limited to 45 ipm max on all 3 axes.

Fred Smith - IMService
http://www.imsrv.com - Main web site
http://www.cadcamcadcam.com - web store

Discussion Thread

imserv1 2010-12-29 13:23:23 UTC New Sherline automatic tool changer preview timgoldstein 2010-12-30 05:52:45 UTC Re: New Sherline automatic tool changer preview imserv1 2010-12-30 08:30:27 UTC Re: New Sherline automatic tool changer preview