CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lost steps

Posted by Ron Ginger
on 2000-08-14 10:13:43 UTC
Ozzie@... wrote:

> In repeated attempts to determine the backlash on the axis, I find no
> consistency in dial indicater readings. On the X axis I lose
> .002-.003" cumalatively in one direction. On the Y axis the readings
> are erratic with variations in the.002" area.

Everyone else seems to be looking for electrical causes, Id look for
plain old mechanical ones. And this is exactly why I do not think
software compensation for backlash is worth it. You are finding its
almost impossible to accurately measure the amount, so how can the
software accurately compensate?

Variations can come from wear in the screws, variation in friction from
move to move- chips in the way, etc. Try making the moves under as
constant a load as possible- like while cutting a slot in some stock.

The only solution to backlash is elimination! Ballscrews or Moglice.

ron

Discussion Thread

JanRwl@A... 2000-08-13 18:20:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lost steps Ron Ginger 2000-08-14 10:13:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lost steps Terry Ackland 2000-08-15 14:24:22 UTC Re: Lost steps