CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: Lost steps

Posted by Terry Ackland
on 2000-08-15 14:24:22 UTC
---Ron,
I have mill drill in my basement and the lead screw is all over the
place. If I need to do anything fussy I have to set up an indicator
because I cannot trust the dials.
I can remember many years back working on a new Bridgeport with
digital readout and expecting it to perform like a jig borer. The
first job sorted that notion out!
You have to pay for precision and you cannot really expect it from
what most of us hobbyist are prepared to shell out for.
Terry

In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, Ron Ginger <ginger@s...> wrote:
> Ozzie@h... wrote:
> >
> > In repeated attempts to determine the backlash on the axis, I
find
no
> > consistency in dial indicater readings. On the X axis I lose
> > .002-.003" cumalatively in one direction. On the Y axis the
readings
> > are erratic with variations in the.002" area.
>
> Everyone else seems to be looking for electrical causes, Id look for
> plain old mechanical ones. And this is exactly why I do not think
> software compensation for backlash is worth it. You are finding its
> almost impossible to accurately measure the amount, so how can the
> software accurately compensate?
>
> Variations can come from wear in the screws, variation in friction
from
> move to move- chips in the way, etc. Try making the moves under as
> constant a load as possible- like while cutting a slot in some
stock.

> The only solution to backlash is elimination! Ballscrews or Moglice.
>
> ron

Discussion Thread

JanRwl@A... 2000-08-13 18:20:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lost steps Ron Ginger 2000-08-14 10:13:43 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Lost steps Terry Ackland 2000-08-15 14:24:22 UTC Re: Lost steps