CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilled

Posted by ED MAISEY
on 2012-02-12 15:07:02 UTC
Roland,

     I have an old Busy Bee bench model Baby Mill, I modified the original split casting and levered bolt, over to a split two piece quill clamp, its a lot of work to do but it does help, I also locked the column movement with a long key bar instead of a silly little block, at least now when I raise or lower the column I don't have to dial in again, but it had to be done for my satisfaction,

........Edmund.........

________________________________
From: Roland Jollivet <Roland.Jollivet@...>
To: CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 1:58 AM
Subject: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilled

Hi all

Has anyone come across a good way to tighten up a quill on a drill/mill
style machine. While almost every article on CNC talks about backlash, few
mention the poor fit of quills. While I could use the built in clamp, it
only presses on two points, and has limited effect when the quill is fully
extended. Splitting the front of the head is not possible, it's a huge
piece of metal.

The only thing I've seen is to remove the quill and have it coated and
grind it to size. But there's no room for error there.. (no adjusting)

If only.... round columns were banished in the 80's, CNC conversions would
be a breeze..

Regards
Roland

Roland Jollivet 2012-02-12 00:59:19 UTC [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilled ED MAISEY 2012-02-12 15:07:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Quilled