CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RF-45 Retrofit

on 2000-08-19 13:43:29 UTC
Terry,
I've just yesterday powered up the CNC system on the Rong FU - RF-45 for the
first time - Runs fine - I've done a lot of mill/drill retrofits and never
seen the need to support the Y-axis - I'm running at about 120 inches/minute -

The new Z-Axis screw is supported on both ends with a preloaded duplex
bearing setup on the top using automotive wheel bearings - The bottom is
just a radial ball bearing with the bottom end of the ball screw
free-floating axially -

I am a little behind in my schedule - The new ball screws took longer to
arrive than expected - And then I had to rebuild the Z-Axis ball screw which
was salvaged from an old K-T machining center that was being scrapped -

I had promised to have info available about a month or so ago - Now that the
unit is running I will sort through a big pile of digital photographs and
make them available in about 10 days for those who are interested - I'll
post a message when they are ready -

This machine came out REALLY GREAT - Next project for the RF-45 - Automatic
Tool Changer -

Roland Friestad

************************************
Copy of - Message: 7 digest 630
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2000 20:13:17 -0000
From: "Terry May" <tmay@...>
Subject: RF-45 Retrofit
A question for Dan Falck or Roland Friestad about their retro-
fit's of the Rong Fu RF-45 mill.
I'm starting to make my ballscrew installation and I'm wondering
if you made any kind of bearing block to support the inside end of
the Y-axis screw, or left it free like the lead screw in the original
design? I would think ideally, supporting it would be best, but it
might be a lot of work and I don't know if it is worth the effort for
a short screw like this? I'm not even sure you could get enough
access to install the screw if it has a bearing on that end?
Thanks
Terry May

Discussion Thread

Roland Friestad 2000-08-19 13:43:29 UTC Re: RF-45 Retrofit Terry May 2000-08-19 19:25:11 UTC Re: RF-45 Retrofit