CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC and USB Controller

JackC wrote:
> Just curious, is there a USB controller that can interface with LinuxCNC?
>
> There wasn't in the past, but I am just hoping there is now.

No, and there probably never will be. USB is not real time,
and the whole scheme of LinuxCNC is to read position in real time,
compute new velocities and send them, all in one real time event.
You just can't do that in USB, for a bunch of reasons. So, if
you were to do it, you would have to buffer up a bunch of moves and
send them to an open loop control device such as a step generator.
You would be forced to support only open-loop stepping, might
as well just use Mach. If you do this, there is no advantage
to using LinuxCNC.

JackC 2013-08-02 17:36:56 UTC LinuxCNC and USB Controller Jon Elson 2013-08-02 18:21:05 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC and USB Controller Jon Elson 2013-08-02 18:27:32 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] LinuxCNC and USB Controller samcoinc2001 2013-08-02 19:48:19 UTC Re: LinuxCNC and USB Controller