CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software

Posted by Gene Falck
on 2013-10-06 10:22:25 UTC
Hi "hanermo,"

You wrote:

> I use Rhino 3D.

I'll add it to my list of possibilities.

> My main PC is a custom one built in the UK, ...

I've been assuming I'll need custom building as I
am thinking of both more advanced photography (a
Nikon D800e will give me some really big files to
process) and also doing some 3D work. (I am not a
machinist but the engineers at work do CAD in 3D
and have a 3D printer to do prototypes.)

> ... overclocked at 4GHz, 16 GB, Win7 64 bit, ...

Yes, I have gotten some recommendations for 16GB of
RAM and, AFAIK, that needs an OS on 64-bit mode to
address it.

> ... with Nvidia card for 2 x 2600x1900 resolution
> on two HP 32 inch monitors.

My graphics card thoughts are wide open. Which card
do you have? I have been googling on this and have
seen a number of recommendations. Most thoughts are
based on high-level gamer cards and so far I haven't
seen specs showing the bit-depth (more important for
photos than for CAD and CAM or even games) but I did
see a disclaimer that certain models were "not for
commercial use. That's not a very informative bit
but does stand out as a sort of red flag.

Apparently graphics cards suited for that commercial
use are better described as work-station graphics
cards. Of course those cards would involve a higher
price level so I'm wondering at what point "better"
becomes "overkill."

> BUT..
> Many of my models are 300-900 MB in size.
>
> Rhino will run fine in XP with 1-2 GB, and do 3D
> work just fine.

So, quite possibly I could develop simple ideas with
out placing unusual stress on whatever system I
choose. Does Rhino use a vector system to describe
things? Of course, I know that screen representation
(and most hard-copy methods) would have to be redone
in a raster image format. It does seem unwieldy to
use raster graphics to design and store 3D images.

--

Thanks for your patience,

Gene Falck
gfalck@...

> A small model is a screw mount.
> About 1 MB on size.
>
> A model for me, might have 200-400 3D assemblies in it. Some might be
> near this 1 MB each.
>
> Many will be simplified - for example I made a 3D ballscrew semi
> accurately (I did not do the special arch of the ballscrew, but
> approximated it as a circle).
> A simplified ballscrew is about 50MB iirc.
>
> Import 3 ballscrews, with mounts, and build the structure, sheetmetal,
> and supports.
> Thats a gigabyte model.
> Its about the same size in solidworks, as used industrially.
>
> So - what do you do ?
>
> I build stuff, and use the 3D tools to make stuff better.
> Its a lot better to make sure stuff works on the screen, than in metal.
>
> Rhino is one of the fastest, lightest and easiest solutions out there.
> Biggest drawback is lack of associations (there is a plugin - gotta try
> that) in geometry.
>
> There is no right answer.
> Rhino is about 100x better than any 2D (auto ;( )cad, for one thing.
> I´m experienced in 3D with almost 30 years experienece.
> (Started w. CATIA in 1986 or so on IBM dedicated hw).
> Rhino has a free 3D cam. Freemill.
>
> I know that inventor is good, but expensive.
> Soliworks is too expensive.
>
> And it depends on if you want cam, 4th axis, plasma (and if with THC), etc.
> If you wanna link to excel (really should !) and so on..
>
> I believe alibre might be good for something. No personal experience.
>
>> What do you other list members use for design work and "how much
>> computer" would I need?

Discussion Thread

2013-10-04 12:21:38 UTC 3D graphics or CAD software cnc sales (hanermo) 2013-10-05 03:31:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software Gene Falck 2013-10-06 10:22:25 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software Darren 2013-10-06 10:22:29 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software cnc sales (hanermo) 2013-10-06 12:35:03 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software cnc sales (hanermo) 2013-10-06 13:28:20 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software Gene Falck 2013-10-06 15:44:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software 2013-10-07 10:35:42 UTC RE: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software Andy Wander 2013-10-07 10:42:21 UTC RE: Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] 3D graphics or CAD software