CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Moore jig borer tooling

on 2000-08-24 07:39:01 UTC
Jon writes:

>Moore tooling does show up on eBay now and then. Work on a search string
>until you are finding what you want without too much unwanted stuff,
>then save it. Any time you click on that link, it reruns the search and
>you get current results.
>I've got a number of such search strings as I'm trying to build my
>collection of NMTB30 holders.

Thanks, Jon.

It was in fact an eBay purchace that got me started on my Moore obsession.
I bought a Moore Tool centering scope, planning to grind the fitting down
to a straight shank. Well, everything about it was amazing, the quality of
the tool, the optics, even the mahogany box it came in was first class. I
couldn't bear to touch it, and in fact later bought a straight shank one
for the mill.

I've since bought tool holders, boring heads, the ultra-precise rotary
table, and finally this week the jig borer got here. A picture of it in
it's original home:

http://www.arcadianclock.com/toy/moore.jpg

Why buy such an obsolete piece of machinery? For less than the price of a
beat Bridgeport, you get something with real "tenth" accuracy. You can't
do any aggressive milling, but you sure know that your hole has a better
than average chance of ending up perpendicular and in the right place.

Not everything on eBay is a bargain. A couple of weeks ago the book
"Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy" by Wayne Moore, which Moore Tool sells
for $98.usd went on eBay for 230 and change.

David M. Munro

Discussion Thread

Jon Anderson 2000-08-24 07:17:56 UTC Moore jig borer tooling David M. Munro 2000-08-24 07:39:01 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Moore jig borer tooling dave engvall 2000-08-24 07:48:13 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Moore jig borer tooling Terry Ackland 2000-08-24 13:25:16 UTC Re: Moore jig borer tooling David M. Munro 2000-08-24 16:26:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Moore jig borer tooling Ron Ginger 2000-08-25 05:42:07 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Moore jig borer tooling