CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lost Steps, freqmod, pulse generators, etc.

Posted by dave engvall
on 2000-08-29 18:10:41 UTC
Matt Shaver wrote:

> > From: Alan Marconett KM6VV <KM6VV@...>
> > I'd like to know more about the "freqmod module"...
>
> There was quite a discussion of how best to implement a step pulse generator
> back on 1/10/00 in a thread called, "SLO-SYN 12.7 Amp motors". Here are some
> excerpts to bring you up to speed:
>
> <Begin Excerpt>
> > Matt Shaver wrote:
> > 3. Darrell also said, "I think the main thing in using these drivers is
> > getting the timing correct in EMC." This is something I have yet to be able
> > to do, and is a problem that Fred has been working on for some time now.
> > Without going into all the details the problem is that there is a some
> > jitter
> > in the step output of the EMC. Generating the step pulses stresses the real
> > time part of the software considerably and much work has been going on to
> > reduce the jitter.
>
> From: "Matt Shaver" <mshaver@...>
> > > From: Jon Elson [SMTP:jmelson@...]
> > > This is a real problem, and not easy to solve with a scheduler that
> > > either
> > > emits or doesn't emit a step pulse on a fixed interval. Let's build an
> > > example.
> > > Let's say you need to output 999 steps/sec to achieve the desired feed
> > > rate
> > > on that axis. let's say that you have the processor interrupted 1000
> > > times
> > > per second to see whether to output a pulse then. Well, you output a
> > > pulse every interval for 500 intervals, skip one interval, and then
> > > output
> > > 499 more pulses at every interval. That omitted step makes the whole
> > > mechanism clunk. This specific example might not make the steppers
> > > lose sync, but there are an infinite number of other combinations like
> > > this,
> > > and some of them most certainly will excite resonances that can cause
> > > lost steps.
>
> > From: "Harrison, Doug" <dharrison@...>
> > The operative word here is interrupt. Software that relies on the
> > PC's interrupt system is doomed to a bumpy ride. The closest thing to true
> > timing control (short of a dedicated board with its own clock and profiler)
> > would be had by addressing the clock chip directly with an assembler
> > routine.
>
> RTlinux uses channel 0 of the 8254 Counter/Timer chip to generate interrupts
> at the correct times to ensure that real time tasks are serviced punctually.
> The scheduler is the piece of software that controls this operation. The
> scheduler has two modes, "one shot", and "pure periodic". In all past
> versions of the EMC, Fred has used "one shot" mode to schedule the stepper
> control task that generates the step pulses. The downfall of this is that for
> every run of the stepper task, the 8354 is reprogrammed. The trouble comes
> from the fact that the 8254 is on the ISA bus side of the PC architecture,
> [...]

The last comment above on slotless machines is all the more reason to build a set of distributed tasks including a (master cpu) of
somekind, control panel, etc. The trick is to make it open standard so multiple approaches (on board) still play right with the
whole.

Dave

I think Jon Elson is headed in the right direction. :-)

Discussion Thread

Matt Shaver 2000-08-29 16:51:02 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lost Steps, freqmod, pulse generators, etc. dave engvall 2000-08-29 18:10:41 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lost Steps, freqmod, pulse generators, etc. Hugh Currin 2000-08-29 19:28:18 UTC Ball Screws for Mill Jon Elson 2000-08-29 22:26:46 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Lost Steps, freqmod, pulse generators, etc.