CAD CAM EDM DRO - Yahoo Group Archive

Re: RH Linux 5.2 will not boot

on 2000-09-02 22:41:06 UTC
Tim

It doesn't appear that the /boot is being created and I am choosing a
workstation instalation and it appears to be installing just fine.
When I choose not to create a boot floppy I get a tag in the upper
right corner of the screen that says 'installing boot' and it then
gives a screen saying it is shutting down to reboot. and then I get
the message about not being able to find an active partition. I use
to have a windows 98 instalation on this drive but I removed all
partitions on it just before I tried to install the RH 5.2. I'm
totally stumped. This drive is workinig just fine. I booted the pII
with it just after I assembled the computer yesterday.

Donald Brock

--- In CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO@egroups.com, "Tim Goldstein" <timg@k...> wrote:
> How are you partitioning the disk? I have installed many times on
disks of a
> similar size without any problems. My suggestion is to do the
install and
> select the "workstation" installation. The script will take care of
the
> whole thing in regards to partitioning. You do need to make sure
that LILO
> is loaded which is the last step the install does after the Xserver
is set
> up.
>
> Your partitions at a minimum should be
> /
> /boot
> and a swap partition
>
> It is the /boot partition that has to be in the first 1023
cylinders.

> Tim
> [Denver, CO]
>
> > I'll take help from anybody right now.
> >
> > Have tried to install RH Linux 5.2 on a PII 266. Appears to
install
> > fine but will not boot from the HD or a floppy. I keep getting a
> > bios message that no ***active*** partition was found on the HDD.
> > suspect it has something to do with the hd I'm using. It's a WD
> > Caviar 31600, 1624.6 MB, 3148 cyls, 16 heads,63 spt. I highly
suspect
> > a problem with cylinders greater than 1023, but am not sure. I
really
> > don't want to go to a dual boot system unless I can help it. I do
> > have a copy of System Commander to manage a dual boot system but I
> > really don't want to resort to this. Does anyone know a solution
or
> > work around to this problem? Linux fdisk shows 4 partitions all
> > starting with /tmp.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Donald Brock

Discussion Thread

don.pat.brock@p... 2000-09-02 18:47:59 UTC RH Linux 5.2 will not boot Tim Goldstein 2000-09-02 19:57:30 UTC RE: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RH Linux 5.2 will not boot don.pat.brock@p... 2000-09-02 22:41:06 UTC Re: RH Linux 5.2 will not boot Ray Menke 2000-09-03 13:26:40 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] RH Linux 5.2 will not boot don.pat.brock@p... 2000-09-03 20:12:19 UTC Question for Ray Menke Ray Menke 2000-09-05 09:27:59 UTC Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Question for Ray Menke